What temp for slicing?? Help please.

laveen1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After an 8 hour cook @ 220 I wrapped it in foil at 164 and put it back in the pit and turned the temp up to 245. My 6.5 lb pork shoulder is just now coming out of a stall. It was stalled for an HOUR! Now I have the pit up to 257 and the meat is finally moving (it's up to 171). I hesitate to push it much higher because I think it will start to dry out. What is a good temp for slicing? I'm thinking maybe 180 or 185?

Moisture comes from within the roast as it renders. No need to worry about drying out a butt. For slicing, some folks say remove it at 180-185. For pulling, cook it till the bone wants to fall out when you tug on it. If it's boneless, cook till it's probe tender. Either way, it's important you rest the meat for at least an hour (I prefer 2-4 hours) before serving.

If you want to save time the next go 'round, start the cook at 245-250, then ramp temp up to 300ish for remainder of the cook. You'll cut the cooking time almost in half, and the results will be just as good.

I like to cook it to closer to done, I prefer a tender slice of pork. So I tend to cook closer to 195F internal. Pull it and rest it. Almost to pulling for me.

Don't worry about drying it out. It'll be fine.

I've had some stall for HOURS. It happens.

Back