Build in progress pics

Smoker20002_zps42741e5a.jpg

Another Update!

Since it is going to be so heavy, we were having a tough time figuring out the best way I could move it by myself, while taking in the consideration the heat around the firebox when in use. I wasn't really sure what to do, thought about just putting legs on it and then using a furniture mover or some sort of dolly. The guy I hired to build it came up with a better plan, steel feet with removable wheels! (So, Pappy, to change my answer, yes it will!) I like this design. It's functional and looks cool too. Smoke stacks and firebox door handle/latch have now been welded on as well. All the doors are gonna need some heat to flatten them back out a bit, but other than that, everything is going smooth. :cool:

Smoker22008_zps885fe90e.jpg

Smoker22009_zps2f296744.jpg

Smoker22010_zps51694d1e.jpg

is the firebox insulated?

I am looking at those tires. They are close to the box!!!

It is not insulated. I thought about putting some firebrick in the bottom, but I'm going to wait and see if it is necessary.

The firebox wheels come off when it is in use and it has steel feet it will sit down on.

FYI, I did line my firebox with firebricks I got from Northern Tool. They are regular 4-1/2"x9" but only 1-1/4 thick used for wood stoves. Box of 6 is about $13. They are easy to cut to size & shape with a diamond wheel on my small Makita grinder - they work great.

It is not insulated. I thought about putting some firebrick in the bottom, but I'm going to wait and see if it is necessary.

The firebox wheels come off when it is in use and it has steel feet it will sit down on.

When will your restaurant be opening? :becky:

Just kidding... man, that is a serious meat monster! Nice design... I love seeing someone take an old tank and turn it into something awesome. :thumb: Good job!

Back