Probably a simple answer...

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Last year in my three contests, I was fortunate enough to be in places that I could dump dirty dish water out behind me no problem. It occured to me tonight that probably won't be the case all this year. Maybe it's a simple answer but I've never had to think about it before but if you aren't so fortunate in your location and are surrounded by other teams, nice landscaping, on pavement in a parking lot where people would step in it, etc., where would you toss out your dirty water from dish pans? Or does it even matter?

Jeff_in_KC said:
Last year in my three contests, I was fortunate enough to be in places that I could dump dirty dish water out behind me no problem. It occured to me tonight that probably won't be the case all this year. Maybe it's a simple answer but I've never had to think about it before but if you aren't so fortunate in your location and are surrounded by other teams, nice landscaping, on pavement in a parking lot where people would step in it, etc., where would you toss out your dirty water from dish pans? Or does it even matter?

Jeff....Do they have porta potties at these events?
If so....get you butt up an hour early and head for the head.
(Take some 5 gallon buckets with you)

I cooked for a the Salt Grass Trail Ride two years ago and believe me
there was two days we camped on fairground pavement and I
could not dump coffee grounds out.
I made good use of the porta potties EARLY in the morning.
Just an Idea Brother.

I agree with Fatdad. A local portapotty or mensroon or of the is a parking lot chances are there is some drainage. If there is a runoff or sewer drain, dump it there. If you can take any solids out of it and there is a landscaped area I don't see the harm in dumping it in the bushes either.

Sounds like a good question for the event organizers at the Friday Night Cook's meeting.

I had a thought on what to do with your dish water. What if you went to Walmart or somwhere and got on of those containers to change the oil in your car. Holds about 5 gallons and wouldn't need a funnel, just unscrew the plug and pour it in. Cap it up and you can take it wherever you need to.

WheresBob said:
You wash your dishes?!

Would this be the Bob I think it is? If so, I'll just dump my gray water across the aisle from me at Osage City this weekend!

I wouldn't dump your water near our site if you plan on sleeping this weekend!

Got that new smoker yet?

WheresBob said:
I wouldn't dump your water near our site if you plan on sleeping this weekend!

Got that new smoker yet?

Probably next week...

Hey Bob, have you been over to Cattle Call to introduce yourself yet?

Good Idea and I will mention where to go with the dish water

kcquer said:
Sounds like a good question for the event organizers at the Friday Night Cook's meeting.

We are fortunate that we have a comercial kitchen that will have somebody staffed at all times. With our sink system and grease trap thats where I will send the people that want to get rid of this water. Will ask that the big chunks are taken out. It is also pretty darn close to the comp area.

Ashmont

We're fortunate that most areas where we compete are grassy with sandy soil. We've always been allowed to dump on the ground (grey water). Most places have grease barrels and hot coal barrels...again, most of our sites allow us to dump ashes/coals on the ground -- just take care of the fire hazard issue.

Asbury Park, a couple of years ago, was a pain due to being on the street...some idiots dumped wasted water on site and it just flowed all the way down through everyone elses site! We dumped marinade in the large holding tank setup for hand washing - it was pumped out regularly - don't know if it was "kosher" to do that but it beat dumping in the street or strolling down the block to a gutter drain!

Jeff - Bob doesnt want to introduce himself, as you can see, he doesnt even know where he is half the time. Where's BOB????

At most of the ones around here -- there are nice large drains or designated areas for dishwater, hot ash, grease. Osage has plenty of dumps around. Or I'm sure Bob would love dishwater for his ribs... helps with the celery flavor :twisted:

Can't wait to see everyone out there. I'll be burning my new cooker in on Thursday night... just in time for the contest :shock: . I know how that species of animal cooks, so I hope this one isnt tooo radically different.

See you there Brother!

Back