• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rumors of Weber Kamodo / Akorn / Egg?

They could add the OTG system to it and it would rock. Think of the accessory business, plate setter, cast iron grates, cart, table extensions and maybe gas assist light. I can't believe this isn't sitting on somebodies desk at Weber already. This would be the Performer Platinum on Steroids......:cool: Oh and make it RED please.

If they are priced well (doubtful) i'd love to have a steel and insulated version a-la akorn.

If it was equal or more than a BGE, there's no point.

A Weber-built Akorn for under 500 would be amazing and I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It wouldn't hurt their kettle sales OR their WSM sales by much and they would be the new go-to for affordable kamado-style grills.

Damn, now I really want this to be.

If you think about it, all they would have to do is make an insulated WSM. Make one of the best cookers they make even better.

you just depressed the heck out of me.

It is hard to predict what Weber will do, as the Stephens family sold majority ownership of Weber to a private equity firm. So, Weber will have to do whatever it has to to make lots money for the partners in the private equity firm. I hope that this private equity firm isn't like Bain Capital, and hasn't taken out huge loans against Weber assets that can not be paid back, in order to fatten the wallets of the private equity investors, forcing Weber into bankruptcy, but this is 2013, and that is how the big money is made these days.

IMO, it is a 50-50 split. The private equity firm will definitely want make a ton of money, but it is 50-50 whether they will decide to kill the company to make that money. I honestly hope they don't do that.

CD

Of course they are going to make a metal Kamado. They have supply chain, manufacturing infrastructure and brand to do it...Ducane. They discontinued the gas grill line two months ago. It won't be long before we see the Ducane Kamado. $449.00

Maybe they'll truly innovate and get into both the pellet market and insulated cookers all in one fell swoop with a pellet pooping insulated keg/egg style cooker!

I bet Weber is entirely capable of putting out a product like this, at a reasonable price. If they did it at 1k even, I bet they would be taking a LOT of sales from the competition. That said, I have been looking for some Weber parts at the big boxes lately. They tend to have 1 ceramic, and 20-40 other charcoal grills, propane grills, and various BBQ pits. It is a pretty small market. Add to that the idea that the ceramic is supposed to be a multi-tasker, while Weber knows that most Weber owners have several (a charcoal grill, a propane grill, and often a smoker) - why kill the goose?
projoe-245.jpg

I have a Kamado Joe, and had no idea it was complicated to use. I must be doing something wrong. Add charcoal, light, wait 15-20 minutes and start cooking. I have a top vent and a bottom vent to control temps. Including the hinged lid, there are only 3 moving parts.

I bet Weber is entirely capable of putting out a product like this, at a reasonable price. If they did it at 1k even, I bet they would be taking a LOT of sales from the competition. That said, I have been looking for some Weber parts at the big boxes lately. They tend to have 1 ceramic, and 20-40 other charcoal grills, propane grills, and various BBQ pits. It is a pretty small market. Add to that the idea that the ceramic is supposed to be a multi-tasker, while Weber knows that most Weber owners have several (a charcoal grill, a propane grill, and often a smoker) - why kill the goose?
projoe-245.jpg
At $7,499.00, it wouldn't be hard.

Viking used to make one for about 1/2 of that - but that was still way more than the market could bear. I was just betting that if Weber made one out of SS and priced it directly against the BGE, the masses would respond. Weber cast aluminum is a better product that 95% of the SS grills out there - but Joe Public wants SS at $1k.

Just because they could do it doesn't mean they should. It doesn't seem to fit their brand.

I haven't read through all the responses but I believe part of Kamado Joe's reasoning for his response could be the hopes that Weber would buy them. Why else would he recommend that Weber compete with him...???

Back