• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dry Rub, and BBQ sauce fundamentals. Input from real pitmasters wanted.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for Dry Rub, Baste, and BBQ sauce recipes or fundamentals.
My dry rub consist of
Paprika
Seasoning salt
Black pepper
Ground Ginger
Ground Cumin
Ground Mustard
Brown Sugar
Sugar
Garlic powder

Looking for other ideas or even recipes of BBQ basics Mainly pertaining to pork shoulders, and ribs. I mainly use apple if that helps with spice pairing.
Maybe some competition guys will speak up.

yup...thats the list. You now have 99% of all rubs....now sit down in small batches and play with ratio's. Find the one you like and use it. In your mixing consider what flavors are hitting your palate first, second and what is the finish? Want some salty, sweet and burn going on. Have fun! Personally I use rib rub number 5 at home. Scott

If you are looking for a good basic rub just look up Chris Lilly Championship rub. All the ingredients and ratios are online. I used that a lot but just kicked up the cayenne.

You'll certainly get all the info you need here, but essentially it will come down to your own personal tastes, but it is a lot of fun experimenting along the way.

I'm certainly no pitmaster here, just my .02 based on my personal experience combined with all the advice I've gotten from the brethren.

My wife and I are in the midst of the "try this and try that" phase. I have learned there is no magic bullet and what works for one won't work for someone else.

Also, if you are thinking competition and wanting to get ideas to use - you will find most folks will give you general guidance and expect you to run with that. Don't expect detailed specifics. It could happen, but that is the exception, not the norm.

Brian

SPG&P is the base for most any rub. Start there and go from there. KISS

I'll give you a little secret on the Sweet component. Use Splenda the Sweet carries over better and it don't scorch or clump up. I used to do all that mass mixing any more it is GOSP and maybe some GP For 95% of every thing I do. Let the meat be all it can be.

Unless you are very experienced with spices and blending, more than 5 or 6 ingredients and you will be muddying up the flavors of the spices you are using.

Balance is important, each flavor must be balanced in a spice blend, there is no point in adding a spice if you cannot taste it.

You cannot effectively evaluate any rub or sauce without cooking it onto meat, in smoke. Weird stuff happens once you add heat and smoke.

Test out the rub first, if the rub doesn't work, the sauce will not fix it. Then add the sauce ideas, until it complements the rub and meat.

Here is a good hint for you. Use country style ribs to test out your various rub combinations. It's much faster and cheaper than using full butts.

Unless you are very experienced with spices and blending, more than 5 or 6 ingredients and you will be muddying up the flavors of the spices you are using.

Balance is important, each flavor must be balanced in a spice blend, there is no point in adding a spice if you cannot taste it.

You cannot effectively evaluate any rub or sauce without cooking it onto meat, in smoke. Weird stuff happens once you add heat and smoke.

Test out the rub first, if the rub doesn't work, the sauce will not fix it. Then add the sauce ideas, until it complements the rub and meat.
I couldn't have said it better! :clap:

here ya go, really really should buy this book, much better than his second book imo.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Kirks-Championship-Barbecue-Sauces/dp/155832125X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354470308&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+kirk%27s+championship+barbecue+sauces"]Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops, and Salsas (Non): Paul Kirk: 9781558321250: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

My wife and I are in the midst of the "try this and try that" phase. I have learned there is no magic bullet and what works for one won't work for someone else.

Also, if you are thinking competition and wanting to get ideas to use - you will find most folks will give you general guidance and expect you to run with that. Don't expect detailed specifics. It could happen, but that is the exception, not the norm.

Brian

I am fully aware of this. I don't plan on ever cooking in the competition circuit. I have never been the type of person to jump through ridiculous hoops. Seriously who serves BBQ on a bed of lettuce :/

AmazingRibs.com is another great resource. I know Meathead personally and he puts a ton of passion into his work. I call him The Barbecue Whisperer. Dude is like a fluffier and fuzzier Alton Brown.

John

AmazingRibs.com is another great resource. I know Meathead personally and he puts a ton of passion into his work. I call him The Barbecue Whisperer. Dude is like a fluffier and fuzzier Alton Brown.

John

+1

I use his stuff all the time!

My pork rub is:
8 parts splenda
2 parts chili powder
2 parts paprika
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1/2 part salt
1/2 part black pepper
1/4 part cayenne (optional) (I love it, the wifey hates it)

I often foil my ribs with squeeze butter, honey and brown sugar, I always pan/foil my pork shoulders. When the ribs/shoulders are done, I reserve the liquid/juices and use it as a sauce. If you want, you can make a roux out of squeeze butter and corn starch or mix it with corn starch or flour to thicken it up. I do not use a separate sauce, I feel it competes with the natural flavors I get from my cooker.

When you make a roast in an oven, you make a gravy out of the drippings, same principal here and I find it's great!

Bob

Back