We went to a contest yesterday....(long)

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Yes I said yesterday. NOT Friday night. It was an experiment. Could we show up on Saturday morning at 6am with UDS' and not make fools of ourselves. It was only a 10 team contest, but it was KCBS and it was 1:45 from my house. So, up at 3:20am, met my buddy Tim from Gateway BBQ, leave town at 4am, arrive on site at 6am. Set up by 6:15am, got meat inspected, rubbed, injected, etc. Lit barrels, big meat on just after 7. Fast forward to awards.......................3 Chx, 3 Ribs, 1 Pork, 1 Brisket. GC.

The process needs a few tweaks, but might have to be tested again :grin:!

Pure awesome. Congrats! I would have been a little more than timid about trying that, but hey it worked out.

Which contest was this??? The Granite City one? I never saw it advertised anywhere.

That's awesome man. You continue to win no matter what you do. Let's see the haters explain that one!!! :becky:

I would have been a little more than timid about trying that, but hey it worked out.

Thats why we teamed up. I paid the entry and Tim bought the meat. We figured "What have we got to lose except a Saturday".

Grand Champion: B&B BBQ and Catering
Reserve Champion: Flamingo Pig BBQ

Overall:
1. B&B BBQ and Catering - 683.9998

Great job Jeff! But keep your success on the down-low please. I like the commradery of Friday nights at comps and if the wives find out we don't HAVE to be on-site until Sat morning...no more beers/shots on Friday for me. :wink:

Al - No problem at all. Tim and I are discussing a time-line that lets us do NOTHING except enjoy "fellowship" on Friday's.....:wink:

Awesome win Jeff!

so did you guys do that with just a couple of barrels and a cambro?

Nice! Who was around to inspect meat at 6:00 in the morning? Was this arranged ahead of time? I would think you run the risk of getting there and no one is there to inspect at that time of the morning.

Nice! Who was around to inspect meat at 6:00 in the morning? Was this arranged ahead of time? I would think you run the risk of getting there and no one is there to inspect at that time of the morning.

It was discussed and confirmed with the organizer on Friday.

It was discussed and confirmed with the organizer on Friday.

Very interesting. So they gave you permission to miss the cook's meeting as well? At every comp we cook, they put the fear of God into us about attending the cook's meeting to the point where I feel we wont be allowed to cook if we miss it.

I've only had 1 this year where the meeting was mandatory. I've seen teams come very late for years and miss the meeting. Only difference was that I slept at home this time.

"Mandatory" cook's meetings aren't.

Prove me wrong and come up with an instance when a team was DQ'ed for not being there.

We were advised that Sam's Club was. Whatever. We didn't make the cut.

Back