vending at a festival - your opinions please

gooose53

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have been asked to be the only bbq vendor at a one day festival. There will be other food vendors but we would be the only bbq one. It lasts for about 5 hours and wondering do we do the whole bbq plate setup or just bbq (pork and ribs)? What would you guys/gals do? Thanks!

I would just do pulled pork personally if you haven't done alot of rib vending. I would definately do some sides. Beans and slaw are good bbq staples. I think most people like to get some sides with their que. We did french fries and slaw and sold the heck out of the french fries. Went through 180 lbs of fries.

I'm about to do my first vending gig under very similar conditions. Going with brats & pulled pork sammy's only with chips and a soda or water. May do coleslaw with the pp but still undecided there. We're gonna keep it simple the first time in.
Good luck to ya!

How much are you paying to vend, both for your spot and your percentage of sales? How many people are expected and how many other vendors selling food will there be?

How much are you paying to vend, both for your spot and your percentage of sales? How many people are expected and how many other vendors selling food will there be?

$200 for the spot and I keep all the sales. They are estimating that they will have about 5000 people. Don't know the total number of vendors but I know of at least 3 others with one serving wings.

Can you get in contact with anyone hat has vended there in the past?

Google search the event, look at the photos and find the names of previous vendors then google and email them.

I'm about to do my first vending gig under very similar conditions. Going with brats & pulled pork sammy's only with chips and a soda or water. May do coleslaw with the pp but still undecided there. We're gonna keep it simple the first time in.
Good luck to ya!

Does the vending gig have a history? Meaning have they done it before and can give you some numbers to go on? Coleslaw is easy and pretty cheap to make - have been considering beans but may go the chips route. Good luck to you as well....let me know how you fair.

Can you get in contact with anyone hat has vended there in the past?

Google search the event, look at the photos and find the names of previous vendors then google and email them.

that's the problem...it's a first time event so no history to go on. Have asked the organizer for names of the other vendors...maybe pick their brains on how they are preparing. Thanks!

No plates just hand food lot of people don't like to stand and hold a plate. it be ok if their plenty of sitting room. Make it simple

I'd use a 3lb boat and serve PP sandwich, BBQ Nachos, Ribs, chips. What would you like to drink with that? PP $5, Ribs (3) $6, BBQ Nachos $6,

I buy the sandwich wraper 12x12 and wrap pulled sandwichs. 4oz pot salad allready made in a cooler, same with beans. soda, water. Chips. If they say 5000 I might make for 1500 call it a day. I always want to sale out then have to pack it all back into the house and eat it for dinner for 3 days. man that sucks.

Keep it simple

I have done pulled pork sammies, chip and a can drink before. Just wrap the sammie in 12x12 tissue. Set in a boat and add chips for $5-6 bucks. You can manage the boat and a drink standing up, walking or sit and enjoy

You store the cooked and prepared meat in pans on the pit/cooker, ice chests on stools behind serving table. Set out a big trash barrel helps. Need three people and only one handles money. (me LOL)

Something elses is frito pie. Chopped brisket covered in red beans, mild thin sauce, onions and fritos $5 bucks. Water sells big time.

Done several scooter rallies... drunks dig Q and will eat anything.

Just FYI...Use any of my input at your own risk.

something else

Your pit with a small hickory fire smell great and peole will be drawn to it. If a fire is not allowed they will get a wiff of the pit as they pass by. My yard man sits by my oit half the time he is here to mow

My experience is the same, no plates, most folks will eat the meat and dump the rest, as they are going for the overall experience, not the food alone. I really like pulled pork sandwiches for these things. If you have a large cooker, then baby back ribs are an option. sandwiches are easier.

Does the vending gig have a history? Meaning have they done it before and can give you some numbers to go on? Coleslaw is easy and pretty cheap to make - have been considering beans but may go the chips route. Good luck to you as well....let me know how you fair.

Sorry for the delay on my reply but I didn't want to hijack your thread.
No history for this on as it's a first time event. It went well for all concerned as we were all cherry plus it rained almost the whole afternoon. Event was for the kids and was a huge success as over 325 free hot dogs were given to kids. There were four food vendors and we changed up to do brisket and pulled pork on hot dog buns, drink and chips only. KISS worked the first time out as we sold out. Smoked four large butts and one 15# or so brisket so we had chopped and sliced brisket. Served them on paper hot dog boats but won't do that again unless we have some wraps to put them in.

Back