5 pound UDS Pizza

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
About 10 years ago, my brother took me to a pizza place in detroit that cooks a pizza, then adds another layer and cooks it again, making a super thick pizza. I decided to try that method and see what happens.
I started with a Digorno 4 cheese pizza
P01-1.jpg

I used the recycled lump/coals from my ash can (that gives it a campfire smell) and added some mesquite chunks
P02-1.jpg

P03-1.jpg

I added sliced japs
P04-1.jpg

rib meat from my rib cookout last weekend.
P05-1.jpg

then dropped it in the UDS.
P06-1.jpg

P07-1.jpg

When the cheese melted, I added tomato and onion slices
P08-1.jpg

P09-1.jpg

when that cooked a little and added more cheese. when that melted, I added more rib meat and tomatoes
P10-1.jpg

and then more cheese...
P11-1.jpg

P12-1.jpg

P13-1.jpg

P14-1.jpg

P15-1.jpg

P16-1.jpg

P17-1.jpg

P18-1.jpg

P19-1.jpg

Just half of this pizza filled 3 people and later that night I saw my wife sniffing the inside of the ziplock that held the leftovers, with her eyes rolled and moaning. This was a hit and I will play with this more in the future

was out in the yard, no cooking times taken. I did have the diffuser in the UDS. The box said to cook at 400F but I planned on an extended cook, so I started at 325 and slowly rose up to 400 during the cook. It didn't burn and came out great but I want the bottom of the next one to be a little less crispy, so I plan to put the next one in one of the perforated pizza pans. I was also thinking of using a lighter cheese like mozzerella. AND I forgot the freakin mushrooms!!!

I was thinking of using brisket and butts this way too

that looks sweet and is a great idea for a new way to do pie. I will have to try that one day and see if mine comes out half as good as yours did.

Last edited:
Back