• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pricing Help!

KJ's BBQ

Reaction score
First let me say that we are new to catering and have done 8 catering events. Most of our cooks have been pretty basic, 2-3 meats and 2-3 sides with dessert and we are in the $14.00 range. We are competing with a large BBQ restaurant and their price for what is listed below is over $800.00! Thats 44 dollars PP. I was thinking somewhere around $550.00. Should we price according to our numbers or should we be close to the $800.00? Are we not changing enough?
They also would like to have some leftovers for the next day.

Thanks for the help.

18 People:
Vegetable tray
Fruit salad or fruit tray
Mixed Greens Salad with 3 dressings - ranch, blue cheese, vinaigrette
Mashed potatoes
Baked beans
Cole slaw
Pork Ribs
Smoked Pulled chicken
Cheese cake (mocha chocolate swirl)
Brownie and Cookie tray
Delivery and Set-up and plates and silverware.

I think the price is somewhat fair I would be at $28-$30 per person ($525 total) based on a minimum of 50 people. Now take in to account there is only 18 people and $700-$800 is the ball park I would be in for this. The prep work for 50 people is not a lot more than for 20 so you will work just as hard and not make near as much if you don't charge extra to compensate.

Last edited:
I think the price is somewhat fair I would be at $28-$30 per person ($525 total) based on a minimum of 50 people. Now take in to account there is only 18 people and $700-$800 is the ball park I would be in for this. The prep work for 50 people is not a lot more than for 20 so you will work just as hard and not make near as much if you don't charge extra to compensate.

I agree. Unless you NEED the business or think this may lead to bigger fish, cooking and prepping for less than 50 is cost prohibited.
The restaurant can do this in a blink as most of the meal is already cooking daily. They also charge fees for smaller parties thus the higher price.

Back