Please rate Todays turn ins

mgp03051

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This was our second comp that we did all 4 categories. we only have our total scores not a break down. How would you rate these boxes. and willing to any advice to make them better... this was a no garnish comp

Last edited:
placed 4th overall 5th in chicken, 4th in ribs, 3rd in brisket, and 3rd in pork

What size are these clamshells? Everything seems really crowded.

Your pork box is the best presentation (7/8), though you may wish to showcase the sides of the pork slices. Your chicken appearance looks good, but the disparate shapes take away from the score (7). The bottom middle especially, as well as the bottom right, really affect the consistency. I'd go with a 7 on the ribs. Your cuts need to be cleaner and straighter, with less "wiggle" on the edges. Brisket is also 7. Again, try to be more uniform on the slices. The burnt ends look a little jumbled. I'd try to make them more orderly.

mgp, congrats on the showing. What was the competition event you did? How many teams.

mgp, congrats on the showing. What was the competition event you did? How many teams.
It was the Amatuer Applewood Smokeoff at Mann's Orchard in Metuen Ma. there where 12 teams. But one was a pro/caterer and bbq team dont know how he got in but he crushed every one took first in every category and took home the the Traguer Texan.

It was the Amatuer Applewood Smokeoff at Mann's Orchard in Metuen Ma. there where 12 teams. But one was a pro/caterer and bbq team dont know how he got in but he crushed every one took first in every category and took home the the Traguer Texan.

Well hello Smelly Pits! Nice looking boxes you have there and congrats on your placings. I was there too as Meat and Three and the pro team was Transformer BBQ, business partners with I Smell Smoke. Heavy hitters for sure.

I do need to correct you on one point though. They did not get first in all categories. The brisket, surprisingly enough, was mine.

Well hello Smelly Pits! Nice looking boxes you have there and congrats on your placings. I was there too as Meat and Three and the pro team was Transformer BBQ, business partners with I Smell Smoke. Heavy hitters for sure.

I do need to correct you on one point though. They did not get first in all categories. The brisket, surprisingly enough, was mine.

Sorry Smokin' D many kudos to you and your team on the first place Brisket!!!! I think I stopped listening after the Pork lol!!Sorry again for not getting it right!!!! hope to see you guys again next year

Last edited:
Understandable on the "stopped listening" thing.

Not sure if we will be at Manns again next year, time will tell. It is a nice, close, warm up contest. We will be at Old Orchard Beach, ME in June and Harvard, MA in September though. I'll keep an eye out and a beer on ice for ya.

Love the brisket box, the meat looks great. I would add a little greenery around the 2 sides and maybe a little along the back.

Chicken looks to dark, though that may be the photo.

Pork looks very good, I would say try adding a second money muscle to the box. If you have a normal size box next time that should be no problem.

Ribs just too crowded. You may want to try a 2 layer, 4 on 4 arrangement next time.

In all four boxes, I think you will score higher with a judicious use of greenery. It adds contrast, it helps the meat "pop". One has to be very artistic and practiced to do a meat along box that can go head to head with garnished boxes, that's just the reality.

Overall, excellent effort.

Brett

Brisket could use a bit more pink color and moister look. Chicken looks good but a little brown for my taste. Pork also needs a bit more pink and looks slightly dry. Ribs look really good, but without being able to see the edge for moisture it's hard to say more...
Just my honest opinion you understand. How did you actually do?

your boxes look good. but my notes would be...

more uniform chicken. it also looks dark(mine always did too, until i just changed it)
ribs do look nice, but i don't see much pullback. were they tender enough?
pork looks excellent, but i'd lay out the pulled, and put the MM on top, instead of garnishing it with the pulled.
brisket looks very well done(i had to stuff mine in there too last year, them boxes are small)but posibbly a thinner slice. they look a touch thick(when i get this right i'll let you know how to do it!)

but damn, you put 11 amatuer competitors against transformers? FORGET IT...

overall though, you did some really nice cooking. congrats and good luck in the next one.

btw, did they serve the midnight lemoncello?

and did you have FUN!!!???

your boxes look good. but my notes would be...

more uniform chicken. it also looks dark(mine always did too, until i just changed it)
ribs do look nice, but i don't see much pullback. were they tender enough?
pork looks excellent, but i'd lay out the pulled, and put the MM on top, instead of garnishing it with the pulled.
brisket looks very well done(i had to stuff mine in there too last year, them boxes are small)but posibbly a thinner slice. they look a touch thick(when i get this right i'll let you know how to do it!)

but damn, you put 11 amatuer competitors against transformers? FORGET IT...

overall though, you did some really nice cooking. congrats and good luck in the next one.

btw, did they serve the midnight lemoncello?

and did you have FUN!!!???

We packed it in early this time. Rigged up a stoker to the UDS's the sleep was nice... But we where up for the Apple crisp.. Its always a good time there and we made great strides over last year all in all a succsess!!! Thanks for the advice and please do drop me a line when you figure it out lol I need all the help I can get..

Bk-7 Maybe a little juice to combat the look of dryness, whether it is or not.

Ck-8.

Pk-7, again looks dry and it is apperance.

Rb-9

Hello Mr. Pits -- I am the other half of Meat and Three that attended. Well done on the boxes. I think they look great. Your total score was really, really close to ours and even closer to Divine Swine. It was virtually a dead heat for places 2 through 4. Personally, I'd give extra points (if possible) for using the drums. I think that is way cool. :)

For everyone -- this was a "no garnish" competition, and it wasn't under KCBS rules/criteria. "Independent" is how I would put it. I think we struggled with the boxes a little. It was near impossible to place anything in the box without getting sauce smears that couldn't be cleaned up.

Box size -- the organizers did call these "9 inch boxes", and they were 9x9 at the top, tapering to 8x8 or less. It is a really tiny box. Not much "dome area" with the lid. It was difficult to work with these boxes. We had to shift from larger chicken thighs to smaller ones because of the box size. Luckily, we'd done several, and could pick and choose thighs.

Hope to see you around -- I thought this weekend was fun. As Smokin' D (not to be confused with the team called "Smokin' Ds", who came in last) said, we'll be at Old Orchard Beach and the Harvard Fall Festival.

Hello Mr. Pits -- I am the other half of Meat and Three that attended. Well done on the boxes. I think they look great. Your total score was really, really close to ours and even closer to Divine Swine. It was virtually a dead heat for places 2 through 4. Personally, I'd give extra points (if possible) for using the drums. I think that is way cool. :)

For everyone -- this was a "no garnish" competition, and it wasn't under KCBS rules/criteria. "Independent" is how I would put it. I think we struggled with the boxes a little. It was near impossible to place anything in the box without getting sauce smears that couldn't be cleaned up.

Box size -- the organizers did call these "9 inch boxes", and they were 9x9 at the top, tapering to 8x8 or less. It is a really tiny box. Not much "dome area" with the lid. It was difficult to work with these boxes. We had to shift from larger chicken thighs to smaller ones because of the box size. Luckily, we'd done several, and could pick and choose thighs.

Hope to see you around -- I thought this weekend was fun. As Smokin' D (not to be confused with the team called "Smokin' Ds", who came in last) said, we'll be at Old Orchard Beach and the Harvard Fall Festival.
Same here on the chicken CallMeThree I cooked 28 and those where my six smallest ones. We kind of struggle with the brisket haven't had the perfect one yet... any advise on them would be great!! after all you guys did put him in his place with your brisket!!!Best of luck with the rest of your season!!

Hi -- sorry, I've been distracted by other things and I'm just now getting back to this thread. I don't think we've got any great secrets about brisket -- we've just paid attention to what others say about cooking brisket. At Mann's, a guy came up and sampled our brisket, and told me that his brisket is always dry. I asked him what temperature he cooks it to, and he said about 190F (after he said "I keep it on about 9 or 10 hours"). From what I've read, that's kind of low, and he might have better luck at a higher temp. He said "I don't want to cook it more, because it's already dry!". And although I'm not a brisket expert, I think this is something that is counter-intuitive. I've heard that dry brisket is undercooked brisket.

At Mann's, I think ours was still undercooked. First time on a new smoker, and our timing was a little off. We'd been shooting to get it off a couple of hours earlier, and holding it, but it didn't work out that way. We pulled it off at the last possible second in order to give it 15 minutes of resting time, and it wasn't up to temp yet. At a competition last fall, our brisket was done at 6am, so we had to hold it for 7 hours (and it turned out great, maybe a little soft), and it was still too hot to separate the point from the flat, by sliding a hand between them.

So, all this leads to -- so how are you doing your brisket now? We're doing a longer, lower-heat cook of a full packer, trimmed. We've experimented with a higher-heat cook, on a UDS, but "D" and I both agree that we like the longer cook method.

Back