Salsa roja for fajitas

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good salsa roja recipe? At the taquerias they have a salsa roja that is made with guajillo and chile arbol peppers and tomatillos. It's great on the fajitas they serve. I would like to make one this weekend for some fajitas I'm going to grill. I found several recipes on the net but I'm not sure if they are good or not. Thought I'd turn to the brethren to see if someone has a good recipe. Thanks!

I have a salsa recipe that I've won several contests with, but it's not really the same kind as you're describing. Let me know if you're interested anyway.

I think this is what you're looking for. Let us know how you like it.

Salsa Roja para tacos

4 roma tomatoes
2 Tb oil, separated
2 generous handfuls of Chile de Arbol, the majority of seeds and stems removed
3 garlic cloves
4 Guajillo chiles – as is, don’t remove seeds or veins
4-6 tomatillos
½ tsp chicken bouillon powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp oregano (Mexican is preferable)
¼ tsp ground cloves
Salt to taste

Place tomatoes in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, place 1 Tb oil in a medium –sized skillet on medium heat, and fry de arbol chiles for 1-2 minutes, but do not blacken them. Stir constantly so that chiles are fried well and change colors, and also to keep burnt chiles to a minimum. Lower the heat if necessary. Once done, remove chiles and place on paper towel to drain. Next, add remaining Tb oil and place guajillo chiles and garlic in skillet and fry for 3-5 minutes, again stirring constantly. When done, garlic should be slightly browned. Remove chiles and garlic to paper towel to drain. Place tomatillos in same skillet and allow to roast/fry until skin is blistered and tomatillos are cooked through. When done, they will change to a more yellow color and a softer texture.

Remove cooked tomatoes to a plate or bowl and allow to cool to room temperature, reserve cooking liquid. When done, remove tomatillos to a plate or bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Once all ingredients have reached room temperature, place all (including herbs, spices, and seasonings) in the blender jar with 2-3 cups of cooled cooking liquid and blend well. Salsa should be smooth with specks of dried chile. Additional cooking liquid may be added to taste. Check for salt – this is important. Chiles are extremely absorbant, so keep adding salt and tasting, until the salsa reaches a “bloom” where you can taste all the ingredients.

I have a salsa recipe that I've won several contests with, but it's not really the same kind as you're describing. Let me know if you're interested anyway.

Dan, I'd love to get a copy of that, too!

Thanks Moose! That sounds just like what I'm looking for. I love this stuff and I've been wanting to try my hand at it. I have most of the ingredents at home minus tomatillos and clove. Going to try my hand at this come the weekend. Have you made this and if so what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks Moose! That sounds just like what I'm looking for. I love this stuff and I've been wanting to try my hand at it. I have most of the ingredents at home minus tomatillos and clove. Going to try my hand at this come the weekend. Have you made this and if so what are your thoughts on this?

Al, yes, I've made it before and it's pretty darn good. There's some things to consider, though:

If you want a tangier salsa, use more tomatillos. I like it less tangy as I find the tomatillos can add a bitter flavor.

Chile arbols are HOT! Even with the majority of seeds and stems removed, it still will be pretty hot. But, if you like it scorching, then leave more seeds and stems in.

You can also strain the salsa through a mesh strainer to get out any bitter pieces of chile. Just make sure you squeeze the strained chiles through the strainer so you extract as much juice out of them.

Then there's the salt. You'll need a LOT more than you think. Just keep adding it till it tastes "right". You'll know.

Finally, it tastes much better after it's been refrigerated overnight as it gives time for the flavors to "meld". You may have to add a bit of water as it may thicken.

Next time I make this, I'm going to add some toasted pumpkin seeds...and I may try broiling the tomatoes.

It took me about a millisecond to think of the answer to your question and it had already been answered - I loved Moose's salsa roja. Actually, I took some and froze it in small dixie cups, then removed the cups and put the salsa in a baggie in the freezer - got more when I want it:p Yeah, Moose.:clap2:

It took me about a millisecond to think of the answer to your question and it had already been answered - I loved Moose's salsa roja. Actually, I took some and froze it in small dixie cups, then removed the cups and put the salsa in a baggie in the freezer - got more when I want it:p Yeah, Moose.:clap2:

Thanks, Larry. Wondering where you've been of late. Notice I modified the recipe a bit...

Thanks for posting that recipe, Moose...I'll definately be tryin' that....Goin' to the desk top right now to print it out....Was going to offer something from Rick Bayless, but that recipe looks great.......:thumb:

firecrackerjack

if your in the mood for the traditional fajita condiment try frsh pico de gallo. the portions should be tweaked to your taste but tomato, white onion, cilantro and serrano are the norteno traditional ingredients.

3 parts tomato
1 part white onion
cilantro to taste
serrano finley chopped to taste
salt (very little) optional
lime juice (small squeeze) optional

skirt (or flank) seasoned with course ground black pepper and sea salt grilled over a mequite and pecan fire, fresh corn tortillas, fresh pico de gallo and arctic cold negra modelo is living grande.

just my $0.02.

Back