Just a nudge

T

The Moss Pit

The name of my team is The Moss Pit. I have been reading a lot of posts and taking notes on every BBQ show since '04 (dvr) I am a member of KCBS and going to renew FBA. I have been making sauce and Q'n for 10 years plus. My wife and I are working towards the comp. Circuit but I'd like a nudge. Either by way of some first hand experience with a seasoned team or some guidance. Anybody have some suggestions? Guidance?

I can't help you with the first hand experience, since I'm entering my first contest next month, but I will tell you what my wife told me...
"You will never know how you would do until you quit talking about it and finally enter a contest"...
That was my motivation. :-D

True. Guess I just need to finish my smoker and get to it. Let me know how you do in your comp and good luck brother.

The name of my team is The Moss Pit. I have been reading a lot of posts and taking notes on every BBQ show since '04 (dvr) I am a member of KCBS and going to renew FBA. I have been making sauce and Q'n for 10 years plus. My wife and I are working towards the comp. Circuit but I'd like a nudge. Either by way of some first hand experience with a seasoned team or some guidance. Anybody have some suggestions? Guidance?

GET YOUR GEAR TOGETHER AND GET OUT THERE! Those in the game have taken that first step. Layout a schedule and a time sheet based on your recipes and equipment - organization is important. Get your ingredients (sauces, rubs, etc.) premade, and your meats pretrimmed (not marinaded or seasoned in any way), send in your entry form and check, and do it.

No amount of research will be a substitute for experience. Go have fun, do your best, and don't take it too seriously. Don't drink your way out of the game either, or hole up in your camp. Meet your neighbors, and relish in the rare occassion to have a meaningful conversation with a fellow Q aficionado.

Choose a comp that is close - then ask on the Brethren who will be attending. I'm sure once you lock in a date and comp folks from here will help you out at the comp itself!

U appreciate all the support everyone is giving here. Guess I'll you all on the circuit. RACK-N-ROLL

Practice a comp at least 1 full run through, all the way through making turn-in boxes,
etc. Make a list (as you go) of everything you touch; that'll be your list of what to
bring to the comp. Make a list of cook times; that'll be the beginning of your schedule.
You can find some samples of both here (schedule and packing list).

Look at the pics of turn-in boxes. There are hundreds here, varying from fantastic
to a item by item list of what not to do.

Like they said, practice, then frankly just jump on in. You'll learn more from your
first comp than anything we could describe or tell. I dont know of any two teams
who do exactly the same thing at the same times. You'll find what works (and
doesn't) for you.

BBQ folks are generally the kindest most friendly group I've ever participated with.

Hope to see you 'round.

Just get out there and have fun. Don't concern yourself with the results - be concerned about enjoying it and meeting people. Do that and it will be worth it. Or check out the mentoring teams and see if you can hang with a team for a comp before going at it yourself - that would be a huge nudge.

Just get out there and have fun. Don't concern yourself with the results - be concerned about enjoying it and meeting people. Do that and it will be worth it. Or check out the mentoring teams and see if you can hang with a team for a comp before going at it yourself - that would be a huge nudge.

That's exactly what I did - I cooked with HawgsNHeifers for three years before I finally set out on my own. When I did, I had a great time because I knew ahead of time what it was that I needed and when I needed to do things and how to do them.

And let me tell you, if you're looking for a way to develop a closer relationship with your wife or your kids or whoever, working your butts off together towards the common goal of a BBQ competition and then packing it all up Saturday afternoon and heading for home, dead dog tired but happy, is a sure way to bring everyone closer.

Yeah that's exactly what we are shooting for. I just need to finish our 250 gal propane tank smoker and find a good local event.

i probally wont be competiting again till the second half of the year, but since you arent too far away from me, PM me if there is anything i can help with, and i will do whatever ican

Back