Generator?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am looking for a very inexpensive generator, don't need much but must be able to run a coffee pot and hopefully be very quit for my fellow teams comfort. Any Ideas for somewhere between 100.00 and 200.00.
Dave

I don't know if you will find anything quiet in that price range. Do you know the specs on the coffee pot? i didn't look at any specific models, but according to this site the average coffee maker draws 800 watts.

I am looking for a very inexpensive generator, don't need much but must be able to run a coffee pot and hopefully be very quit for my fellow teams comfort. Any Ideas for somewhere between 100.00 and 200.00.
Dave

If truly all you want to run is a coffee pot or other small appliance, I would recommend an AC inverter that you can hook right to your battery or plug in your cigarette lighter.
If your car is not near your site, you can also just bring deep cycle marine battery to hook it to. (this is actually a little better, as you don't risk running your car battery down)

A 10 cup coffee pot uses about 1200 watts, I would recommend a 2000 watt inverter, so as to give you spare capacity.

You should be able to pick up a decent DC/AC inverter for 150.00

Generator's will cost you quite a bit more for the same wattage.

I don't know if you will find anything quiet in that price range. Do you know the specs on the coffee pot? i didn't look at any specific models, but according to this site the average coffee maker draws 800 watts.

The coffee pot I have at home is 900 watts but I will look around and see if I can't find a lower wattage pot for camping. Wildfire Motors has one that is 1200w peak and 1000w rated and runs at 62 disables. I don't know if that is high or low but there is one on Creagslist in my area for 100.00 the seller has not gotten back with me so not sure if its new or used.
Dave

If truly all you want to run is a coffee pot or other small appliance, I would recommend an AC inverter that you can hook right to your battery or plug in your cigarette lighter.
If your car is not near your site, you can also just bring deep cycle marine battery to hook it to. (this is actually a little better, as you don't risk running your car battery down)

A 10 cup coffee pot uses about 1200 watts, I would recommend a 2000 watt inverter, so as to give you spare capacity.

You should be able to pick up a decent DC/AC inverter for 150.00

Generator's will cost you quite a bit more for the same wattage.

I have given this set up some thought and may still go that way.
Dave

Most comps have elctricity, but if you're looking for a quiet gen, you're probably gonna end up paying around $1000 for a decent one. The Honda eu1000ia is a solid gen and very quiet. The eu2000ia runs about 200 more, but you can run it in parallel with another 2000 for 4000 watts of power.

Most comps have elctricity, but if you're looking for a quiet gen, you're probably gonna end up paying around $1000 for a decent one. The Honda eu1000ia is a solid gen and very quiet. The eu2000ia runs about 200 more, but you can run it in parallel with another 2000 for 4000 watts of power.

Sorry that price range is just not in my budget at this time.
Dave

I know it's pricey. We've been cooking competitively for 4 years now, averaging about 8 comps per year and have only needed to use a gen twice...and when we did, we just rented a honda 2000 for the weekend.

cheapest option, a 3 way and a good cord to go steal some from your neighbors! honestly, anything but the honda eu series makes wayyyyyy too much noise imho. I dont own one, but ive plugged into a few when at a comp

If that's all you need, I'd just buy electricity at the comps. Yes, long term the cost of $25 a tournament for electric will be more than a gen, but you won't have wear / tear on a Gen nor fuel costs depending on how much you run it.

Guess I have been going to the wrong contest. Many times its first come first serve or you need 150 feed of cord or the the outlets don't work or someone disconnected you accidentally or on purpose or the comps rented generators stop working or, well you get the idea. I just want not to have to depend on others for my needs but I have a couple times hooked up to someone else with their blessings of course but they are not always available to me.
Dave

Guess I have been going to the wrong contest. Many times its first come first serve or you need 150 feed of cord or the the outlets don't work or someone disconnected you accidentally or on purpose or the comps rented generators stop working or, well you get the idea. I just want not to have to depend on others for my needs but I have a couple times hooked up to someone else with their blessings of course but they are not always available to me.
Dave

I hear ya. We avoid contests that don't provide power as we do like to have a few comforts. But even though you've got the Gen, some things can still go wrong (part breaks, run out of fuel, won't start, etc).

Of course we're looking at picking one up as well, but that's to help run the A/C in the new trailer

You can also get lots of DC appliances at truck stops (or online)

http://www.dc2goproducts.com/page/367240207

You still have to make sure you get your electicity stuff working properly (fuses and such).

Another option is the old propane stove and a percolator or French press (and a thermos).

A coffee maker running 900 watts of 120v power through an inverter will only run for .63 hours on a fully charged 115 amp hour battery. An 115 ah deep cell battery is the largest they sell at most autopart stores and Walmart. They are around $80. Just thought you might want this info. Good luck.

You can also get lots of DC appliances at truck stops (or online)

http://www.dc2goproducts.com/page/367240207

You still have to make sure you get your electicity stuff working properly (fuses and such).

Another option is the old propane stove and a percolator or French press (and a thermos).

This was my thought as well. Percolator makes great coffee.
It is the cook not the cooker :biggrin:

Who the heck needs coffee crack a beer it dosnt run your battery down and then you dont have to waste the 150.00, thats more beer money LOL sorry I couldnt resist.

Big Mike

It takes a lot of power to boil water, and as others have said, cheap generators suck. Here's another direction to consider - make your coffee on a propane stove! You can buy a stove and one of these http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/coleman-camp-coffee-maker/33283
for far less than you'd pay for any electric solution, plus the stove has many other uses and you may already own one.

Back