View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Default Recipe

This was supposed to be a "Mexican" cornbread rip off. But I found my chorizo was a week out of date, and I had one jalapeno and zero rare fanciful death peppers like the rest of you guys. Don't know how that happened without it getting frozen. Anyway here's what I did. Help me find a name for it.

Crisco
1/2 pound hot breakfast sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
3 green chili peppers, chopped, with seeds
3 red chili peppers, chopped, with seeds
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped, with seeds
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp fresh ground, (in my new coffee grinder), home dried "little chilis"
1/2 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 cups self rising corn meal, preferably yellow
1 egg beaten into 1 and 1/3 cups milk
1/2 - 1 cup cheese, (I used fiesta blend tonight, usually use cheddar or pepper jack)

Brown the sausage. Saute the onion. Beat the egg into the milk. Add remaining ingredients except cheese to the batter. Pour batter into skillet with sausage and onions. Cook at 400* - 450* for 20 - 30 minutes. Watch the edges for a hint about the bottom and smell very carefully. If you smell the bottom scorching you will know it. If you know how to cook cornbread in the oven this is not very different. Must have a well seasoned pan for this one I believe. It was hot and spicy as hell but I wish I would have had a couple of more green and red jalapenos as well. Just for looks. And yeah, sorry, I wanted bacon in and on it too, but somehow didn't notice we were out before I went to the grocer's.

Last edited by Hugh Jorgan; 10-08-2009 at 03:17 AM..
Hugh Jorgan is offline   Reply With Quote