Fri night ribs on the left coast

luv2putt

Knows what a fatty is.
Decided late fri aft to smoke some ribs ...was at Costco and decided due to some time constraints , to grab their pre rubbed ribs .... I don't really like the results I've ever gotten with the 3-2-1 so I use a technique I call stacking ... After smoking for 2-3 hours , instead of wrapping i stack them and rotate the position of the meat every 20 min or so ... They self baste and slowly build a nice bark .....
303DB10C-EC76-4977-9C9C-944FC3854F49_zpsnu7rlwhm.jpg

A8541B58-8782-41C2-98BF-500820E3AA93_zpsbuwrkry2.jpg

DCA539F9-EBC4-47A5-AA55-03383414CD30_zpsbg1seicn.jpg

270480B7-0567-4794-BB4B-1FA15ECEE958_zpsn6kzbigt.jpg

Smoke Ring

HI Nice smoke ring..Question what does the smoke ring really tell me??
THanks Dan

They look great. Pre-rubbed ribs? That is new to me. Stacking looks like it works well

Costco sells their Memphis ribs with a rub...usually right next to their spares and baby backs ... It's not great, but not bad either ...I will use them when I merely want to practice on cooking times , bark and texture ....not use my spices ...their rub pretty much the same base as I would guess most of us use ....

The smoke ring to me is like when an artist signs a painting.

Hi All Sooooo what does the smoke ring really tell? Besides it being an artist signature.What ever that means.
Thanks Dan

Well, in KCBS comps it's not supposed to be judged cause there's way to cheat and enhance it using salts. To me it's saying that said piece of meat was introduced to correct amount of smoke, which can be harder at higher cooking temps. It also can be lost or reduced while wrapped in foil. What causes that? I'm not sure, I know it's happened to me and heard others saying the same thing.

So just as my opinion, that's why I say it's like an artist signing his work. To me it's proof I cooked with the right amount of smoke. (Appearance only )

Back