View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default PRE-Turkey Day Tradition

Well, for the last 5 years or so, a tradition of ours has been to head up to Ft. Davis Mts. State Park with the 5th Wheels and stay there till about Wednesday and head back home to do Thanksgiving with the families. While we are up there(usually 3 families in total), we do a Pre-Turkey Day dinner. I usually smoke a turkey or a ham or both. We have all the fixings and eat outdoors under an EZ-Up and a couple outdoor heaters. Before we know it, the javelinas are walking up and down the arroyos waiting for a handout, the deer come up too. (We shouldn't feed the animals........but oh, well!) Sadly, the park is closed this year up till February or so. They are upgrading the park with roads, electrical and adding more hiking trails among other things.

I'll be honest! I'm glad to be here at home. Before we started doing the trek up to Ft. Davis, my wife and I had a little tradition of doing a small turkey feast just for us and my son at that time here at home. We disconnect. Cell phones off. Land line gets pulled. We have also NOT answered the door bell at one time! We get up and have some breakfast and just cook all day long. We get some music going and once "beer thirty" comes around, we indulge in that too! Now that the kids are older, we are getting them involved. Lil Robert is making the green bean casserole and Bri is helping mom make the sweet potato pie. I'll be tossing a 15lb bird into the PBC. We will also be doing some cornbread stuffing, gravy, quinoa(cause I want some!), bisquits, etc. Not really stuff from scratch, but good food still. Also, gonna have some mashed taters and chile con queso. Overall, just hang out, listen to music, and be Thankful for Our Family, Health, and just Life and the Enjoyment of it!
Already oven roasted/softened the sweet taters for the pie this evening.

Got the coffee pot is loaded and the timer set. Wife and kids will get up when they get up and we go from there. No time schedule set. I'll update with pron tomorrow!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->