• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking on the FEC100's pros and cons?

• Thread starter This Is How We Que It
  • Start date
T

This Is How We Que It

I have been doing research on the FEC100's and have read countless forums about them, but the knowledge that I have gotten is from mostly regular backyard cookers. Can anyone that competes on them give me some competition insight while using them? All help is greatly appreciated.

All I need to say is consistency. And that is what wins...

Yep, Scottie nailed it. They cook the same everytime... so you can focus on everything else.

Tritto :-D

On the downside, you need power. That is easily rectified (hee hee) by using a generator, battery and inverter combo or comp power where available.

Tritto :-D

On the downside, you need power. That is easily rectified (hee hee) by using a generator, battery and inverter combo or comp power where available.

Will a battery and inverter get you through a whole comp?

I have been doing research on the FEC100's and have read countless forums about them, but the knowledge that I have gotten is from mostly regular backyard cookers. Can anyone that competes on them give me some competition insight while using them? All help is greatly appreciated.

Cons? Your neighbor 'accidentally' trips over the power cord at 3am. :twisted:

Great cooker, love the ability consistancy it provides us.

judges seem to like food off a FEC, I think I saw something about Todd, winner of the invite Royal, say something about the FEC is a team member,,,, I need to remember where I saw that.

one con is the price, and the fact it will not have that charcoal taste, just not going to happen.

Is that sorta like a drunk guy 'accidently' peeing on the hickory for the Jambo? :)

Cons? Your neighbor 'accidentally' trips over the power cord at 3am. :twisted:

If you are even moderately serious about getting an FEC - just get one. I don't cook on one, and I'll probably stay with a stick burner, but in reality they are not all that expensive and you'll ALWAYS be able to sell it if you maintain it properly.

An FEC costs less than a medium sized off-set w/trailer, though you'll have to deal with transporting it to comps.

If you are even moderately serious about getting an FEC - just get one. I don't cook on one, and I'll probably stay with a stick burner, but in reality they are not all that expensive and you'll ALWAYS be able to sell it if you maintain it properly.

An FEC costs less than a medium sized off-set w/trailer, though you'll have to deal with transporting it to comps.

very true on the resell part, I lost $150 when I resold one of mine (use to have 2, now just one), and sold in hours.

on the transporting part, easy pleasy, just lift it on a truck bed, good to go.

Compared to my other thermostatically controlled device (the stoker), the only thing I can say about the FEC in comparison is the lack of built-in remote monitoring capability. You really don't need it at all though, as you can count on the FEC keeping steady temps throughout the cook time and time again, but at a comp I like to know where my temps are at all times even if they are perfect.

On the other hand, this is easily rectified by using a Maverick ET-73, or even better, what I have started doing, is using the Stoker to montior the temps inside my FEC. The Maverick will give you an effective range of 80 feet (unless you are in a trailer and that range is easily cut in half), and the Stoker will let you monitor from your cell phone within the range of the router you have the stoker hooked up to. Mine is close to 40 yards

Overall, you cannot beat the consistency or the convenience of the FEC. That is, as long as you have a dependable power supply.

I have always used a stick burner.....BUT, a year ago my Wife and I welcomed our baby daughter into the world. Sleep became a thing of the past. That's when I decided to pull the trigger on a new FEC100, it has made life much much easier! I will now get more sleep at comps than I do at home :)

I don't have any cons at the moment......

Back