Judging refresher class?

Capt ron

Knows what a fatty is.
Does the KCBS offer a judges refresher class? I think it would be beneficial to refresh judges every once and awhile especially if they haven't judged a comp since getting their judge status. What is everyone's take on it?

If you are a CBJ in good standing, you can monitor another CBJ class at no charge. Or, better yet, go to a CBJ class as a volunteer table captain or box helper.

It would be very helpful to me. Lots of things have changed since I was certified in 2001, such as scoring from 9 on down back then, to scoring up or down from "average 6" now.

Cost could be an issue for an actual class, but maybe KCBS could create some kind of yearly on-line refresher to cover the basics and any new changes?

I think absolutely there should be continuing education for CBJs. Out here we have many CBJs who judge once per year after certification, and the scores show that this isn't enough experience to bring them into line with other judges who participate more often.

If you are a CBJ in good standing, you can monitor another CBJ class at no charge. Or, better yet, go to a CBJ class as a volunteer table captain or box helper.

Good point!

The year after I took the judges class, I took a table captains class the night before a judges class that my wife (and team partner) went to. At her judges class, I acted as a table captain, and taking the class again helped fill in some blanks, and I was also able to ask some more informed questions the second time around.

I think all judges should do this at least every two years if possible.

I don't think either of us will ever be master judges as we enjoy cooking much more than judging

It would be very helpful to me. Lots of things have changed since I was certified in 2001, such as scoring from 9 on down back then, to scoring up or down from "average 6" now. quote]

This is incorrect. You do not start at 6 and go up or down now. There is no starting point defined. You score each entry on its own merit for what it is.

Then all cooks would have to judge.

And then we could hold hands around the campfire and sing Kumbayah!

HEY! I like that song, just kidding. Around here I would there are alot more cooks that are CBJ than CBJ's that cook. I took the class to learn what the judges are taught.

Big Mike

Back