300 mouths to feed

L

LadyMac

Hi!

I am in head of my church's block party ~ this is my second year doing it and last year I just went with the flow to see how it went before I started making changes.

Last year we bought 2 hogs and one church family smoked them, pulled the pork and made sandwiches. It was seriously good and the two hogs provided enough meat for the 300 people who showed up. We also had hot dogs, beans, coleslaw, sauerkraut, fruit and desserts. I have been told that it was the best block party the church has had in 10 years.

The problem? I shot my budget and those 2 hogs took up about 2/3 of my budget ~ last year was about $1000 and the hogs were about $700. Doesn't leave much room for other food costs, moon bounce, marketing, etc.

This year I am looking at costs of pork butts to smoke ~ either from places like Restaurant Depot or Costco or even ordering already shredded pork in bulk.

Like I said, this is for a church and there's no charge to come out and enjoy the afternoon. It was fantastic last year and I don't want a decrease in quality, but want to cut costs where I can.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

you would save some money by going with butts. i would guess a $100 or so, but you would lose that wow factor. you might try to find a hog farm that would donate a pig or two, or solicite some doantions from the congregation.

I think some people were a little put off last year that the ears and snout were sitting on the table in case some people wanted to pull meat off of them. :laugh:

What the ratio of usuable meat to unusable on a pork butt? If I need 75lbs of meat (roughly 4 oz. per person), how much in whole butt would I need?

Last edited by a moderator:
For bone-in pork butts, figure a 50% yield, so if you want 75 pounds cook, you need to buy 150 pounds raw. Price around here is about $1.50/lb, so you are looking at about $225 for the meat alone.

Thanks... the two hogs last year were $700 so that's a fairly significant savings.

I also found a place that farms hogs (thanks for the idea, Wheels61) and sent them an email. Whole hogs are costing $2 a pound through them.

Thanks a bunch for all your help.

i didnt realize hogs were so expensive out there. i would figure around 100lbs of pulled pork. i get about 60% yield. you would need around 20 butts (8lb avg.). you should be able to get butts for around $1.50 per pound. your meat would run around $240. your local independant grocery store may give you a deal on the meat by the case or if you are a member of the kansas city barbecue society you can get into restaurant depot. a benefit well worth the membership fee if you cook much. i think you can get a membership with your tax exempt status with the church too.

Back