View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #18
dbhost
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouQue View Post
The fastener on my Bandera is a 3/8" axle cap nut. I've removed mine only twice in nearly five years. Twisting and pulling the cap nut with a vise-grip pops it off fairly easily. Does one need the axle cap nut? Absolutely not.
I am going to try the Vice Grip trick on a rolling garbage can axle I need to replace a wheel on. See how easy it comes off.

Quote:
The only time the exhaust damper should be closed is when the cooker is not in use. In my opinion, if the cooker is fired up, the exhaust should never be anything less than wide open. Never. Otherwise, it is said, creosote can build up on the inside. Yech!
I typically keep the shutters at half open on both the firebox, and the smoke chamber, and I get a fairly steady stream of light blue smoke with that method, No creosote buildup in the smoker, but I do get fairly heavy grease buildup on the bottom of the smoker which needs to be taken care of...

Quote:
If you are going to store the Bandera outside, I suggest keeping it covered while not in use. After four seasons of lackadaisical upkeep (and then a grease fire), my 'dera received a thorough sandblasting and repainting. It now lives in the garage, covered, when not in use.
My Bandera lives a very spoiled life. I clean the firebox after cooling EVERY use, hit the burned off spots with some fresh BBQ black, and keep it not only in the garage, but also under a cover. I learned my lesson from rusting up a previously VERY nice New Braunfels Silver Smoker. I am almost done rebuilding it, but it has taken a good chunk of time and effort to undo what could have been avoided with proper care.

I would like to take the Bandera out of the garage, but that will only happen when I put a shed in the back yard to get BBQ, and yard care equipment out of my garage.