• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "Musical Food" Throwdown!

This here is my official entry...

Here is my musical motivation. The Reverend Horton Heat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiKofsx2ojA"]Eat Steak Music Video - YouTube[/ame]

And here is my entry. Guess what it is.

Ribeye steak with k-salt and fresh black pepper.

picture.php

Cooked hot and fast on the WSJ. No reverse sear needed.

picture.php

And here is the game-winning fork shot of the ribeye...

picture.php

CD

Official Musical TD entry.

My inspiration for my entry happened in 1985 at the Kabuki Nightclub in San Francisco. My buddy Lex and I went to see Metallica, Death Angel and Armored Saint the show itself was amazing, I used to love the small venues. Lex had gone to high school with bassist Cliff Burton so we had planned on either getting on stage or backstage. We decided just to try and get backstage which we did, while trying to find our way we came across a large room with and awesome spread, lots of food, drink and groupies (chicks) but it was Armored Saints room so we thought FARK!! if they are that decked out whats the headliners spread gonna look like. We finally found our way to a room with 1 table (empty) and a couple of tubs filled with St Pauli Girl probably 20 people tops including the band and Cliff Burton's mom was even there which I thought was cool, she was very conservative and out of place would be an understatement. I was starstruck but Lex was right at home Chatting it up with Cliff and his Mom. The rest of the band was totally cool, very laid back and down to earth easy to talk to. It was kind of a sausage fest though, not may chicks and lots of dudes so I figured I would hang a couple of chicks today to pay tribute to that night and to make up for the chick shortage.

My Heavy Metal tribute begins with the fabrication of WSM hanging adapter 2.0.

heavymetal.jpg

The chicks were split up according to size and rubbed down with Oakridge BBQ Secret weapon pork and chicken, love that stuff.

chicks.jpg

Preheated the WSM to 300 and waited for sweet blue before hanging the chicks.

hangingwiththebabes.jpg

Rock solid 300* for 2 hours.

Rocksolid.jpg

Pulled them @ about 162 in the breast the leg and thigh were in the 170 range.

chillin.jpg

Here it is plated and the one constant between then and now is a St. Pauli Girl.

money2.jpg

Thanks for looking and if anybody is wondering, Yes they were real and they were SPECTACULAR!! :THUMB:

spectacular2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I'm completely confused. I thought the category was Musical food? :noidea: My inspiration for this is Louis Armstrong, mainly because drums look kind of boring. I mean, what does it take to make a drum? :crazy: With the balmy weather we've been having, I couldn't select a more appropriate song.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIDOEsQL7lA"]Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Summertime - YouTube[/ame]

So, I needed some background material. Asparagus is always good for inspiration. Unfortunately, it could also be the starting point for drums, and I didn't want to go there.

IMG_7096.jpg

These are grilled with smoked garlic and olive oil. I then began the serious fabrication. This is about halfway through the cook, before I added the maple syrup to give it a sheen.

IMG_7099.jpg

Just needed to affix the hardware.

IMG_7100.jpg

and finally, we can try to make some music.

IMG_7121.jpg

Confession: Try as I might, I couldn't get anything musical from the trumpet. As back-up, I grilled Brussel sprouts and there is nothing more musical than those. :roll:

Official Entry and All

What with this being a Musical entry, We should be able to hear it as well as see it. :becky:

I'll start with Bacon and fixin's

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A"]Rub Some Bacon on It - YouTube[/ame]

2lurleu.jpg

Then there's the quality of the meat your er' using:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g77ryvKclFM"]Low Budget by The Kinks 1979 - YouTube[/ame]

ngsfeu.jpg

It's getting better:

ixv4te.jpg

My meat is beat now. Thank Goodness for LuzziAnn bringing the Holy Trinity! Bell pepper, Onion and Celery! :

2moa4j6.jpg

zthh20.jpg

wlxc0i.jpg

This is starting to look GOOD! Rolled and Ready! Time for a low and slow:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCNcgoyG_0"]Slow Ride- Foghat (Full Version) - YouTube[/ame]

x4en0z.jpg

On the Grill:

20h2esn.jpg

Off the Grill:

34ifhax.jpg

Finished product. Please use this one for TD:

2ylu5ck.jpg

PS: Then there are the sides:

15i91ds.jpg

x3czm.jpg

11jxc3r.jpg

A guaranteed 3 octave Trouser Trumpet for sure! ;D

Thanks for lookin' and leaving the Musical TD with a good wish for All!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XyTpENuoCI"]Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good (Studio Version) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
My inspiration for this nonentry was John Prine.

Happy Enchilada - YouTube

I love the story and every time I though about this TD I came back The Happy Enchilada

They still turned out pretty good but I had to resort to the indoor appliances :evil: Oh Well you win some you lose some.

IMG_4563_zps7ef18aed.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this, Ric. I've never heard of John Prine or the Happy Enchilada song. Some of the most moving music is just a person singing and playing guitar and I loved listening to and watching the video. Enchiladas look good, too, thanks for playing even though Mother Nature sent you to your room. At least you went to the kitchen.... :biggrin1:

Here it is plated and the one constant between then and now is a St. Paulie Girl.

money2.jpg

Great story, Paul. I would have been star-struck, too, and how cool that Cliff's mother was there in conservative mode. After reading your entry I took a quick google peek and found out Cliff's first music love was classical and first instrument was the piano. Makes the picture you painted of his mother in that heavy metal room even funnier. The chicken looks marvelous, wow, I have a tripod campfire contraption I'm going to try doing something like that with this summer.

and finally, we can try to make some music.

IMG_7121.jpg

Confession: Try as I might, I couldn't get anything musical from the trumpet. As back-up, I grilled Brussel sprouts and there is nothing more musical than those. :roll:

This is farkin' hilarious! I love it! Delicious, creative and effective. Your song inspiration is a breath of fresh air after that last snowstorm. I so love Ella's voice and Louis' intro was beautiful -- one of those times when the sum of music exceeds the individuals. Thanks for sharing, Gore, and I so agree with you about the brussels sprouts. :redface: I call them martian brains. :razz:

Off the Grill:

34ifhax.jpg

Wow, Toast, music inspires you big-time! Really great entry and I almost fell of my chair laughing at the '3 octave trouser trumpet'. I can't even type it without laughing! Seriously, those low-budget rolls look like a million bucks and I'd love to set in to some. Loved all the music, Slow Ride is perfect for BBQ and I haven't heard that Kinks song in ages, thank you.

Can any of you fine folks pm me with info on how to embed video in a post? Trying to put together my entry, simply cannot get it to work, and it'll be a total loss without the proper musical accompaniments...:mmph:

Can any of you fine folks pm me with info on how to embed video in a post? Trying to put together my entry, simply cannot get it to work, and it'll be a total loss without the proper musical accompaniments...:mmph:

If the video is on YouTube all you have to do is copy the URL then paste it in your post and the site will automatically embed it for you.

First off, Kathy...THANK YOU for this concept. Music is a passion of mine (listening mainly, as I have no talent other than a voice that just barely doesn't make people run out of the room screaming), and there are many artists whose work has touched my life. Because of this, this TD has a special meaning to me. Busy work week, but I had my cook all planned for lunch on Saturday before working in the evening...but a few unforeseen events threw a monkey wrench in things. Mainly, I wasn't able to get many pictures and wasn't able to complete my plate the way I would have liked. So, instead I will focus on the backstory in a vain attempt to make up for a less than stellar process. Also, as mentioned earlier, I'm having problems figuring out how to embed video from Youtube. Tried for the last 2 hours but can't get it to work, so I'm giving up. All you get are links. :icon_smile_tongue:

For my entry, I chose to focus on Aaron Lewis, the front man for Staind and newly converted country artist. Aaron's music...indeed, his life...has always been extremely familiar to me. Like him, I grew up suffering from depression and low self-esteem. He has often said that he used to "feel very alone" when he was younger, which is something I can relate to. My parents weren't abusive, but were very strict, and my dad (like many) was very distant. My dad is a retired police sergeant, and as a counselor once told me, "It seems like your home is run very much like a police academy." Please understand, I'm not complaining; I love my dad and I feel like he did as decent a job as anyone could have. I just provide this as explanation for my connection with Aaron's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfsFR0s-_A

The more I listened to Staind's music, the stronger a connection I felt with Aaron Lewis and his lyrics. Through the music of Staind, I finally found the words to describe who I was and how I felt inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bobskjQwWI
The music of Staind became highly therapeutic for me, and as Mr. Lewis seemed to figure out his feelings of self-doubt and lack of confidence, I too began to better understand who I was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBFDFEiQrx4
As I said, I've always felt a connection to Aaron's music, and that hasn't stopped now that he's gone solo as a country artist. I love the outdoors, am (for the most part) pretty conservative in my political views, I'm deeply appreciative and supportive of our country's men and women in uniform, and I've never been afraid to speak my mind (even when it gets me in trouble). SO ultimately, my direct inspiration for this cook came from Aaron's single, "Country Boy:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmUm66juvE
I'm not really the "star-struck" type, but I've always said that Aaron Lewis is a guy I'd love to hang out and have a few beers or maybe go fishing with. So, I went into this cook with that thought in mind.

I pulled a couple of venison steaks out of the freezer...
20130208_215015_zpsd71aa4f5.jpg

Made a simple marinade:
20130208_215314_zps42b0296e.jpg

Bagged it all up and tossed it in the fridge overnight:
20130209_131250_zpsdba72faa.jpg

To go with them, I took some asparagus, drizzled it with soy sauce and added a bit of garlic and just a touch of ginger:
20130209_131121_zps1a2c0842.jpg

Now, here's where my pics get a bit sketchy. See, I've been shopping for a good used truck, and I'm fairly picky, which means I've been looking for just over 3 months. Saturday morning, in the middle of my prep and cook, I found one and spent an hour talking and negotiating prices over the phone. In fact, I ended up having to leave for work just as the steaks were finishing up; my wife actually pulled them off the grill and photographed. So, here is my money shot; while I didn't get to enjoy them fresh, I did have this waiting for me when I got home from work, and the steaks did turn out very nicely at a near perfect medium rare.

IMG_4869_zps006c814c.jpg

My apologies for the lack of pics and the technical difficulties; not my best entry, but as I said, this was a theme that meant a lot to me and I wanted to make sure I got an entry in, even if I wasn't able to put my best foot forward. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Back