View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

Default Offset Build Question

Hi All,

New member here, although I have been lurking in the shadows for quite some time enjoying the site and soaking up information from those in the know.

I am starting on an offset build and have a question that may spark some debate, but here goes anyway...

Looking for input on firebox to cooking chamber placement and stack placement. I have read and re-read several awesome builds on here and two in particular that impressed me, however they have different approaches.

One was along the Jambo approach and the other more like a Gator or Klose approach. Meaning firebox opening above or below the cooking grate. Stack opening pretty much appears to be the same, at grate level.

I am guessing the answer is partly preference, but it would seem that there should also be an aspect of fact on which produces a more even cooking environment.

Does pit size matter when deciding? Does one work better than the other on larger or smaller pits? And does an insulated firebox make a difference relative to approach? I know insulated is better overall, but does it contribute to the success of one design over the other?

After much effort, I was able to score a compressor tank, which I trailered home yesterday. It is 20" in diameter and 60" long. I don't believe I will have many opportunities to get another as reasonable as I got this one, so I want to try my best to get it right the first time...

Any input is much appreciated!

Regards,
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank.jpg (62.2 KB, 188 views)

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote