BRISKET,, why is it considered to be holygrail??

At what temp do you usually pull your brisket?

I pull my brisket when the probe of my super fast Red Thermopen slides in like it's going into warm butter. What's the temp? Don't know, I don't look...

It's all about the internal temp of the meat.
Like said above, "It's done when it's done!"

No it's not all about the internal. Yes it is done when it is done. There is no set temp to pull brisket as every cut is different. The range is typically 195 to 205 though.

Keep an eye on the internal until it gets into the 190+ range...after that forget it and go by feel checking for tenderness with a probe every 1/2 hour or so.

Do check for tenderness in a few spots. Some cuts will be for the most part tender, any stubborn spots usually equal out while resting in hotbox.

Oh Shane, would you care to comment on this?
I would actually.

Many things have to happen when cooking good brisket, and it all starts with selecting good meat. Sure, you can buy a cheap piece of briskie and make it taste good. But, to do that consistently is the challenge. I buy the more expensive CAB briskets now. I have a much easier time being able to predict what and when that meat is gonna do it's thing.

Oh my God! I knew when he wrote that it was not what he meant and it would start this confusion about IT Pull temps all over again. Kick did that Intentionally. Grrrrrrr.

Just follow Kick's last sentence, not his first... it is not about IT temp at all. Its about when its done to "feel" There can be a 40 degree IT variance as to when the Brisket is done to its zenith... any less its underdone... any more its over or dried out.

Oh Shane, would you care to comment on this?

picture.php

I think it's the holy grail, personally. Probably because of all the BBQ's and Picnics i've ever been to I've never seen it served (apparently I'm the only one in my extended-extended-family with a smoker). I've seen the usual hot dogs, burgers, chicken, ribs and even pulled pork but never brisket. So, to me, it's the holy grail because the only time I ever get to eat it is when I cook it myself, which I plan to do quite often now that I have a better job and a pit of my own.

Back