• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I Got Introduced To A Carolina Bright Leaf Hot Dog

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
One of my cookin' buddies has some property on the coast of North Carolina and he returned home from a week long trip this weekend. Usually he brings back shrimp, oysters, clams and the like, so when I get a call Saturday afternoon saying he needed to use my vacuum sealer I figured there would be some kind of samples to be had..... And there were. Hot Dogs. Yes,.. this dude traveled more than halfway across this great nation, through 3 airports, with 6 or 8 pounds of hot dogs in a cooler.

1-28-13006aaa.jpg

I've never had (or seen) this brand before. They are Carolina Bright Leaf brand. He sounded like a walking advertisement... "They are all beef and pork, only have 8 grams of fat, and a unique blend of special seasonings". So, I spiral cut two of them and cooked them up,.... I was all over them like a big dog. These guys don't hold back when listing the ingredients, most of which I could get behind..... I had a little hesitation about the "pork hearts", but at least it was not "chicken lips" or something.

1-28-13008aaa.jpg

Anyway, here they are in all their glory. These dogs get a thumbs-up from me, pork hearts and all.

1-28-13018aaa.jpg

They look great but after seeing the ingredients..........

Oh, yeah! Skinless franks! That's the way to eat a hot dog! And, that heart meat adds a nice twist on the flavor. Lucky, you!

I have lived in North Carolina my whole life (38 years), and have never heard or seen these before. But then again I am from the other end of North Carolina...the good end :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

They look great, red dye and all :) So, what is the purpose of doing the spiral cut?

The BBQ joint where I used to work at here in VA when in high school used to do a spiral cut on skinless hot dogs and deep fry them. They would curl up in a circle and would be served on a hamburger bun.

The BBQ joint where I used to work at here in VA when in high school used to do a spiral cut on skinless hot dogs and deep fry them. They would curl up in a circle and would be served on a hamburger bun.

So, it is an aesthetic thing. Not really about changing the flavor or letting smoke in, etc. Got it! Thanks.

They look great, red dye and all :) So, what is the purpose of doing the spiral cut?

So, it is an aesthetic thing. Not really about changing the flavor or letting smoke in, etc. Got it! Thanks.

Uh, not exactly...

The spiral cut gives you more surface area, allows for more smoke/charcoal flavor, more surface area for your seasoning (I use a mix of celery salt and garlic powder), and keeps them very straight when cooking. Dogs will elongate slightly too, making them fit the bun better,.... they also look cool, and kids like them because they are different.....but best of all, the spiral cut give your toppings something to hang on to. This photo is the first test cook I did for last years Eggfest, among other things, my team cooked about 100 dogs, and they were a big hit. We were cooking on two Eggs at the same time and there was never a dull moment.

Eggfest2012015aa.jpg

Regional wienies, who knew.
Growing up in SE Michigan, all I knew about was regonal hotdogs. Koegel's hot dogs, made locally, were required to make the Coney Island hot dog, also known as coney dog or coney, which originated here. A hot dog without that "pop" when you bite into it just isn't right.

Back