wood chips

SmokeyBear

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The DVD that came with my BGE showed putting soaked chips directly on top of the coals. The driections on the bag of chips show putting the chips in a foil pouch and setting it on the grate.

Any opinions as to which works best?

I think the best advice I could give you is to try both and see which results you like the best. Myself personally when I used my weber bullet I got better results with the chips being put in dry without any foil. I don't think soaking them or using foil makes a big diffrence.

I've done both methods. The foil pouch works well on a gas grill. I just use wood for my heat source now so I can't help you much. Have you considered the Kingsford with mesquite embedded in the briquets. I use that for grilling steaks, but only grilling beef steaks. The mesquite is too dominant of a flavor for pork or poultry for me.

On edit I want to add that Q_egg, thirdeye, Dr.BBQ or one of the many other eggheads around here will be able to give you a better answer. Weekdays are more active around here for responses.

I don't cook on one, but, I've seen others do it. They usually just throw a handful of chips on the coals. Try it different ways and see what works best for you. Like Kevin said, I usually don't see the foil pouch used excpet in gasser units as laying the foil on the hot coals will usually, in my experience anyway, burn up the foil and leave a very bad taste to the smoke and the meat.

When I threw dry chips in the Egg they tended to catch fire and raise my temps. Are you using a grate lifter or have you gotten an 18.5" Weber grate with handles? Try sprinklng them around the outside edge of the coals so they don't burn as fast. JMO

I generally don't use chips because they burn up too fast but then again I don't have an egg. You might try sprinkling some dried rosemary leaves on your coals also. Gives the smoke a wonderful smell.

SmokeyBear said:
The DVD that came with my BGE showed putting soaked chips directly on top of the coals. The driections on the bag of chips show putting the chips in a foil pouch and setting it on the grate.

Any opinions as to which works best?

For a fast blast of smoke like when finishing a steak, tossing them on top of the coals will work fine. For longer cooks in the Eggs, I mix chips and splits within the lump and start the fire in the center. As the fire spreads for the next 6,8,10,15... hours it always finds a few new chips to produce a nice light smoke.

Just for some insurance, until you master fire tending in your Egg, make yourself a wiggle rod and wiggle the lump every 4 or 5 hours (and for sure before turning in for the night) to promote good airflow and even smoke.

Bigmista said:
I generally don't use chips because they burn up too fast but then again I don't have an egg. You might try sprinkling some dried rosemary leaves on your coals also. Gives the smoke a wonderful smell.

If you are doing something lighter like fish or smoked sausages that does not require the mega chunk, mixing chips into the lump will work in the Balcony Barrel too. I made a mini basket that sits inside the regular basket. I'm waiting to make a micro basket to use for cheese and such.

Also try tossing an onion in the coals, it gives a good flavor too. It also makes the neighbors go wild.... LOL

.... covered pretty well so far. I tend to use chips more for fairly quick cooks to impart what ever 'quick' smoke I can to things like salmon, burgers, parted chicken (done on the BGE of course). Soaking holds down the fire and makes chips last a bit longer .... probably not critical, but useful. I defer to the foil pouch users and I'm sure they have sound experience. So far it hasn't worked that well for me.

Back