UDS - Rust/Rain

Unfathomable Bastid

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren:

So last year I constructed my first UDS. Pretty basic design that has served me very well. The hardest part of the build, honestly, was the fire basket and ash catcher.

Anyway, I THOUGHT I had protected the unit pretty well with a couple of liberal applications of rustoleum black spray paint. But this year has proven to be rough on the unit, and I have some significant rust issues -- particularly on the underside and the pipe nipples. It's looking pretty rough now, although there aren't any holes.

I'm wondering if it might be easier to construct another barrel, this time making a point of really slathering it with high heat paint -- maybe 3 or 4 coats? Since I already have the fire basket/ash catcher done, it might be easier than trying to save my original build.

Thoughts?

-Bastid

Last edited:
I would just hit it with a wire brush or sand paper and touch it up. Use it until it falls over.

I agree with Johnny. Use the wire brush on the rust spots and touch it up.

They're supose to be ugly, Its in the name. If ya want nice, buy a Weber

Hmmm... all good points. What do most folks use as a cover for their UDS? Does a traditional kettle cover do the trick?

yes, and it real cheap.

I used one till my wife threw it away for some reason. now my drum has a lot of service rust.

I finishing up a second drum and this time I'm using high heat paint from a can and brushing/rolling it on. I've used two coats, although it only recommends one. My first drum I just sprayed and was never happy with the coverage. Don't know if this one will do any better.

i'm thinking about repainting my first drum since i'm going to use it at a comp.

I use a 55 gallon plastic drum liner as a cover even though it's under the carport on my shop.

Hey Brethren:

So last year I constructed my first UDS. Pretty basic design that has served me very well. The hardest part of the build, honestly, was the fire bastket and ash catcher.

Anyway, I THOUGHT I had protected the unit pretty well with a couple of liberal applications of rustoleum black spray paint. But this year has proven to be rough on the unit, and I have some significant rust issues -- particularly on the underside and the pipe nipples. It's looking pretty rough now, although there aren't any holes.

I'm wondering if it might be easier to construct another barrel, this time making a point of really slathering it with high heat paint -- maybe 3 or 4 coats? Since I already have the fire basket/ash catcher done, it might be easier than trying to save my original build. Thoughts? -Bastid

Use a wire wheel, then re-paint it heavily with high temp. paint.
I've got a 55 gallon trash bag stretched over mine, and a Weber cover over that. This Winters project is to build a BBQ pavilion to help keep some of the elements off the UDS. Keep the inside good and greasy and rust isn't likely.
One other thing... I've got my UDS sitting on 3 bricks to keep it off the patio and away from excess moisture.
One advantage of living in the South is that I'm gonna use mine year round. I just clean mine up, and try to keep it out of the elements.

I would enter mine in a Ugly contest any day!:cool:

S6002587.jpg

Like the others said but it must be treated with Ospho or something like it before the paint. Other wise you're just you know and the wind is in your face.

Paint it with POR-15 (google it). This is what a lot of old-car guys use to paint rusty frames and stuff with. It's basically indestructible. Their old formula needed to be top coated as it was not UV friendly, but I think they have a new version that doesn't have to be. All I know is that whatever you get that paint on, it stayed on (including your hands). Even trying to grind it off is chore compared to other paints.

Don't even bother with paint, it will rust through eventually.

Here's a better solution - wire brush the worst of the rust off and then get the drum as hot as you can, then apply Pam spray to the outside, once it smokes and burns off, apply it again. Basically like seasoning a CI skillet, you'll be surprised at how long it lasts, and it pretty much looks painted.

The only draw back is that if you don't get the drum hot enough, it wont burn off completely and will leave it slightly tacky, if you do it right there will be no greasy residue left at all, a weed burner works good too.

My SJ UDS is going on 2 years and just now starting to rust a little... all I need to do is get it hot again and shoot some more Pam on it. That is, if I really cared about it.

2011-11-02134603.jpg

Back