• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS/MMA Interview

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
**Mods: feel free to move this. I put it in Comps because it seemed logical and all previous discussion of MMA was here**

For those that are interested in these sort of things, there is an interview with Mike McCloud up at www.homeofbbq.com

Most of the questions asked came from suggestions by Brethren.

I thought the interview was interesting and Mike was more forthcoming than I expected. This wasn't intended as a 'Mike Wallace-Gotcha Journalism' sorta thing, but I feel that it turned out well.

Cheers,

Eric

BTW, I am trying to be circumspect when posting about my site. I know that I just posted about the bbq and molecular gastronomy interview, but I believe that they are both relevant. If anyone feels that I'm bordering on 'spam' let me know. I have no intent to pimp the site or dishonor the Brethren.

Good interview, Eric.

When he talks about KCBS, I'm not always sure who he is talking about: BOD, members, something more obtuse?

I don't get the idea of KCBS being seen as the BBQ Experts. Again, is he talking about the members when referring to KCBS? I don't see KCBS being BBQ Experts. KCBS is expert at running & judging BBQ contests. A goal of KCBS, that I can tell, is not to produce better cooks, in a direct way at least. The goals seem more to be about awareness, growth/opportunity for involvement at different levels, a level playing field, etc.. I think KCBS does all of those very, very well.

I don't think I like being referred to as a 'Fringe Market'. There have been bbq competitions in New England for 17 years.

Good job Eric. I am a little confused though. If I remember correctly, I think I read in another thread here, that the money that went to buy the trailer and truck was from the sponsors and not KCBS. In the Bullsheet that arrived today, in the minutes of one of the BOD meetings, the budget and bid for the trailer was voted on by the BOD. Can someone clarify this for me please.

Good article. He sounds better than some other posts have portrayed him. Although, I still will have to see if he backs up what he says. The jury is still out on this one.

It's fine. We agreed prior to the interview that it would be posted on both sites. A link would have been nice though.

Eric

Hey Eric,
Did you consider asking him about potential conflicts of interest as he works with KCBS and a cooking team at the same time?

Hey Eric,
Did you consider asking him about potential conflicts of interest as he works with KCBS and a cooking team at the same time?

To be honest, no.

I don't remember if I was aware of that at the time (the interview was a long time in gestation). I took the majority of questions from Brethren and I'm not sure if that was one of them.

It should also be reiterated that it was not intended to be a 60 minutes type of interview. I don't think that I would have received a reply at all if that was the bent of the interview.

Eric

drbbq, its a legit issue that they will never answer you on. To me this guy seemed like a politician, just giving the right answer not the true answer to each question. Loved when he said this is a HUGE risk for his company and they will only get paid if they grow the society. No company would take a HUGE risk if they didnt think they would get paid. Sounds kind of like what the Dolan's did when he hired isaih thomas with the knicks. what constitutes a success. And Lets say he doesnt get paid, how long does he stick around for before the KCBS has to find a new company. Do they then start from the beginning again.

Well I think he'd answer but I'm quite sure he'd see it differently than I do. Apparently the board sees it differently than I do too because it's allowed to continue.

Loved when he said this is a HUGE risk for his company and they will only get paid if they grow the society. No company would take a HUGE risk if they didnt think they would get paid.

Companies take CALCULATED risks all of the time based on their evaluation of risk versus reward. Sometimes they are small risks and somtiems they are HUGE risks. You can bet your last dollar though that if they are taking a HUGE risk, then they have calculated that there is even a HUGER reward potential.

Back