Need Whole Chicken Bird Help

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I wanna duplicate Pollo Loco or Pollo Regio delicious YardBird at Home........any Hints -Recipes- Advice?

El Pollo Loco Chicken

Found This Recipe on google.

Ingredients:

Serves: 4

Yield:

chicken ...

Units: US | Metric

6 ounces pineapple juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon mild chili pepper, remove stem and seeds from chiles, finely minced (Anaheim or California)
8 drops yellow food coloring (but accurate) (optional)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 lbs frying chicken, cut up

Directions:

Marinate chicken in zip-lock bag overnite.
Reserve 1/4 cup marinade to baste while cooking, making sure the chicken cooks on both sides minutes AFTER basting the final time--we dont want our Italian friend Sal Monella to show up :)
Grill over indirect heat, turning 4 times, 12 minutes each time.
Serve with your favorite tortillas, rice an barracho beans.

Marinate your chicken with three lemons and an orange for about 1-2 hours. I always make my lemon pepper rub for chicken. 1/8 cup Lawyrs seasoned salt, 1/2 cup lemon pepper, and 1-3 teaspoons of cayenne pepper. I like my chicken really zesty/tangy with a little heat. I smoke everything with hickory, its a simple recipe but chicken takes on smoke and spice real easy. Its not Pollo Loco but Im Mexican if that counts HA HA.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Marinate your chicken with three lemons and an orange for about 1-2 hours. I always make my lemon pepper rub for chicken. 1/8 cup Lawyrs seasoned salt, 1/2 cup lemon pepper, and 1-3 teaspoons of cayenne pepper. I like my chicken really zesty/tangy with a little heat. I smoke everything with hickory, its a simple recipe but chicken takes on smoke and spice real easy. Its not Pollo Loco but Im Mexican if that counts HA HA.

I'm gonna try this one :thumb: ( and others )

Marinate it in Mojo Corillo then use Rick Bayless mexican Roadside Chicken recipe.

I think he means this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Criollo-Marinade-24-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B00032CV8O"]Goya Mojo Criollo Marinade, 24-Ounce Bottle (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dPHzaQbwL.@@AMEPARAM@@41dPHzaQbwL[/ame]

I think I am going to try this chicken this weekend. I know it will probably cook better on my gasser than the WSM, but anything wrong with starting it on the smoker to catch some smoke and then moving it to the gasser for high heat finish?

Chunky, do you slice the lemons and orange or squeeze them?

Squeeze them first then just throw the peels in there after if you want. Make sure it only marinates for 2 hours and not overnight. The acid in the lemon actually starts cooking the chicken, I've never left it overnight but I would assume this would mess with the texture.

I think I am going to try this chicken this weekend. I know it will probably cook better on my gasser than the WSM, but anything wrong with starting it on the smoker to catch some smoke and then moving it to the gasser for high heat finish?

Nothing wrong with that, I've finished butts and briskets in the oven before :shock: wooops its a secret though!

El Pollo Loco Chicken

Ingredients:

Yield:

chicken ...

6 ounces pineapple juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon mild chili pepper, remove stem and seeds from chiles, finely minced (Anaheim or California)

Directions:

Reserve 1/4 cup marinade to baste while cooking, making sure the chicken cooks on both sides minutes AFTER basting the final time--we dont want our Italian friend Sal Monella to show up :)

Be careful with an overnight marinade and pineapple juice. Pineapple contains a tenderizing enzyme that can turn that chicken into complete mush.

Hey Smitty, you talked about this at THE BASH, make sure to let us know if you get a recipe that works, pretty please.

Squeeze them first then just throw the peels in there after if you want. Make sure it only marinates for 2 hours and not overnight. The acid in the lemon actually starts cooking the chicken, I've never left it overnight but I would assume this would mess with the texture.

Be careful with an overnight marinade and pineapple juice. Pineapple contains a tenderizing enzyme that can turn that chicken into complete mush.

Got it right on the money MS2SB! I've left some chicken marinating for too long, not even over night it had turned white from the lemon acid going to work on it.

El Pollo Loco Chicken

Ingredients:

Yield:

chicken ...

6 ounces pineapple juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

I wouldn't do this.
The pineapple will collapse the protein strains while the acids from the vinegar and lime will cook it within an hour.

(MS and CLL acknowledged)

I'm thinking I need to do some field research Thursday Lunch Time.....

Nothing wrong with that, I've finished butts and briskets in the oven before :shock: wooops its a secret though!

Thanks Chunky!

Back