• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grill Kings food

B

BrooklynQ

It would be cool if some of the guys there would post pics of the event. Here's one of our pork turn in...

pp.jpg

Here's my turn in's and site and placings...

12th place chicken

35th place ribs - I'm still shaking my head on the taste scores of 8,7,5,5,5,4 - appearance was 2 9's , 2 8's and 2 7's and tendeness was mostly 7's and a 6 and 8 -

5th place pork !!!!!!

17th place brisket

Last edited:
The best part of the night was when we were working the fires and stuff. Vinnie looked up from his armchair and said that us "old guys work too damn hard."

I think Phil really was going to kill us while he worked the pit and Sean and I are blabbering in our prep tent next to him very loudly stupid nonsense like these ...but he enjoyed seeing two rookies enjoying themselves like crazy, which we did.

Here's some of the nonsense from our lack of sleep and high temp outside

" Oh, sweet baby Jesus, BBQ love juice !!! ",
"Where are the baby puppies, we gotta prep them now"
"Hey Poob, no need to turn in your chicken, Jesus just called and said that ours are better than heaven"
" Hey Phil, if that had some of our brisket at the Last Supper, Judas may have not turned on Jesus".
" Phil, we got our pork butts imported from Peru for this contest. $29/lb. They are like the Kobe beef of Pork"

Last edited:
The infamous BBQ love juice! Don't remind me. It's worse then the green fairy!

i will admit, some of the babble that I heard coming out of your site was the funniest chit i heard.... Im convinced sean has been sampling his pharmaceuticals.

one of the funniest lines I heard in my prep tent..coming from your site... came from sean as he pulled the ribs and was walking back to your tent..

Hey vinney, I sure am glad u got the kosher babybacks. They sure do look pretty.

and of course, after the first 2 hours, i became trained that anytime i heard my name screamed from somewhere off in the distance, i automatically yelled back..... How many times dis anyone hear???

1:30!!!!

I'll try to get this back on topic cause that's some funny chit...and I can't get past my 35th place ribs.

Poob - Did my 35th place ribs really taste "fishy" as per Sharon ? You agreed with her too. You know what we used on them and that is nothing like a fish rub or fish sauce.

Sean nor I sampled our ribs (the only entry we did not test just because we were rushing)... We never cooked fish in our pit ever, nor used anything remotely like a fish ingredient in a rub or sauce.

I'm just getting a funny feeling that the ribs were spoiled or something. I pulled them out of the cryovac and they smelled like Costco ribs in cryovac usually smell like.. nasty... I did not give it much thought considering my prep table was directly over a large sewer grate in the concrete parking lot.

Did they really taste like fish ???? That's scaring the crap out of me if they spoiled ? We kept em on ice since they left my fridge Sat morning until they got prepped and re-coolered.

My mistake for not tasting them but glad I didn't if they tasted like fish.

I really love those ribs and everybody whose tried those agreed that they are better than all the other rubs/sauces we've done.

I'll definitely have to try it the same way again at Hudson Valley and New Holland.

Vinny - nice pics and congrats. I wasn't there but judging from the rib photo the ones you and Smoker turned out at the Bash kicked total ass on those.

Very nice lookin food boys!!! Congrats to all the brothers that won something!!

If you used MSG on your ribs, too much can give that "fishy" taste. Just a thought.

MilitantSquatter said:
Poob - Did my 35th place ribs really taste "fishy" as per Sharon ? You agreed with her too. You know what we used on them and that is nothing like a fish rub or fish sauce.

Did you use Danish babybacks? I've heard of this problem before.

OK... I'm now about 80% sure my ribs were spoiled to some degree which gave off the fishy taste.

My mother (who knows how to cook) stopped by and was near our prep area while I opened up the cryovac. She did not say anything to me as not to interfere and cause problems. Upon driving home she told my father that she noticed a bad smell at that time and wanted to say something.

When I told my father how we placed and that I was told the ribs tasted "fishy" by Poobah and Sharon, he shared with me what my mother noticed when watching me peel the membranes off.

We kept them cold from the moment we bought them. They were Smithfield or Swift babybacks.

Last edited:
When u open the pack, always stick your nose in there. You should smell absolutely nothing.

Look on the bright side. You actually beat other contestants in the rib category with skanky ribs.

Back