Briskets flats always too dry.

Well that looks really good, no foil?

And is that a flat?

For a reference, this is what I'm referring as dry (my first one done hot & fast + foiled, pulled at 218F and still didn't probe like buttah)

I would swear that it was overdone, not under, but what do I know.

gsmd.jpg

you do not need to foil to get a moist flat..and I have never taken a brisket past 203*
look at your rub and remember to use brown sugar, in my opinion this is key to seal the outside...
try a little trick, before rub and spices ...
condition the outside with white sugar, let set up for about 30 minutes or so, then rinse off with water..
, add some worchester and sprinkle your rub on, then coat with brown sugar..
My nephew lives in San Antonio and clued me in on this one...
but foil is not necesary, however will help..

I don't think it's my rub... I have a theory and that's carryover heat overcooking my flats.

I've vented them for only about a couple of minutes and then foiled + rested for many hours (had to transport them hot).

I'm gonna do the next one as I've done all the previous ones, except vent for 15 minutes and rest for 1-2 hours max. Maybe even keep a thermo in there during resting...

If your flats are overcooked, you wouldn't be able to get nice slices like your photo shows. Overcooked briskets will crumble when you try to slice.

Well that looks really good, no foil?

And is that a flat?

For a reference, this is what I'm referring as dry (my first one done hot & fast + foiled, pulled at 218F and still didn't probe like buttah)

I would swear that it was overdone, not under, but what do I know.

gsmd.jpg
It is under cooked the collagen hasn't melted see how tight the muscle fibers are in your's. Now compare it to mine.
DSCF0087.jpg

see the gaps this is from the collagen melting and turning to gelatin that would be the glossy stuff.
Temps are a tool but not an absolute, if it DON'T PASS THE POKE TEST IT AINT DONE

Yeah that makes sense, that one was undercooked. I know temps don't mean too much with briskets, but I'd love to find out at what temp it would've been done, 225 ish maybe :shock:

But everything after that has been overcooked, they've crumbled a bit. But, I did produce the best flat to date yesterday, hooray :cool:

Had a lot of temp swings but that didn't seem to affect the result too much.

I did everything as I've always done, but vented the flat for 15 minutes before foiling and resting. It was still a bit overcooked, the sides crumbled when I tried to slice. I guess I'll have to calibrate my probe test a little bit, I guess I'm expecting slightly too buttery texture.

Is there a way to cook a flat more evenly, so that the narrow ends don't overcook when the middle is just right? I'd guess no :-?

Here's a pic of the yesterday's flat (I need a new knife)

4xqr.jpg

That looks really good! I try not to buy any thing that isn't at least a min 1" thick in the thinnest place. You can always block it before cooking so it is even. The trim makes a good cooks treat or save 'em up for chili.

use a alum. pan add some broth /apple juice cook uncover for 4hr then cover until desire temp. I also use a onion soup mix with broth

I find the after cook rest period to be crucial to all my large hunks of meat I cook. Letting them rest for hours only seems to make them even better.

That last pic looked good - I suggest you build on that technique and vent it at least 10 -15 min before you wrap to rest.

Back