Another WSM meat hanger mod.

For the rest of us mere mortals who don't own that kinda fancy gear, nor have much in terms of metal working skills (ok fine, I meant mainly me) - what about taking a standard weber grate and cutting out a bunch of bars that go across the grate to make a frame of sorts with crossbars? It would be easier to handle than the hooks under a standard grate, I think.

I posted this Weber open wire grate alternative in another thread earlier today where you can hang your meat through.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...eyword=weber+grate&storeId=10051#.URkt0x00WSo

For the rest of us mere mortals who don't own that kinda fancy gear, nor have much in terms of metal working skills (ok fine, I meant mainly me) - what about taking a standard weber grate and cutting out a bunch of bars that go across the grate to make a frame of sorts with crossbars? It would be easier to handle than the hooks under a standard grate, I think.
Unless you have an old grate, buying one of these might be a better idea.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&
0007792400490_300X300.jpg

It's heaver duty than the standard grate and is still usable as a grate as well.
ref=sr_1_1

Very cool. Glad it worked for you.

I'm curious where you placed you're Guru probe and were measuring temperature? Also, I'm curious if you really think you need the Guru for a short cook like this.

I haven't decided yet whether the meat hanging produces better results than just say laying the chicken halves flat over direct heat at higher temps. There is a part of me that thinks there is something to hanging, and a part of me that thinks that's crazy.... I'll eventually get around to testing this side by side.

Ya know what I love about this place?... Fertile minds. Throw an idea out there and immediately you have the power of the brethren mulling it over, sharing what they have already tried, and letting you know what they think might work better. Love it!

The Weber grate above reminded me that I have this: http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_507255_-1

I have used it on my performer for some time and like it a lot. If I can't hang the meat off the outer grate i can at least get some bars to lay across the hole left by the insert. Plus, its on clearance now.

Time to go shopping!

[@will work for bbq: I apologize for going off on a tangent, but your mod got the ol creaky wheels turning!)

How much for one for an 18"?

This one cost me $0.00 to make, My best guess if someone wanted to make and sell these 1 piece they would probably run about $90.00 each for flame cut. I can measure my 18" when I get home.

Very cool. Glad it worked for you.

I'm curious where you placed you're Guru probe and were measuring temperature? Also, I'm curious if you really think you need the Guru for a short cook like this.

I haven't decided yet whether the meat hanging produces better results than just say laying the chicken halves flat over direct heat at higher temps. There is a part of me that thinks there is something to hanging, and a part of me that thinks that's crazy.... I'll eventually get around to testing this side by side.

I clipped the temp probe directly to the WSM lid therm probe, that way the temp was a true temp at the lid. The Guru is probably overkill on a short cook but it sure was nice not to have to monitor the temp plus I put the meat probe in the smallest chicken halve (set to 160*) so I would have an idea when they were getting close. The Guru also allowed me to use the minion method with only about 25 lit coals spread over the entire surface area of my charcoal basket as opposed to having to light more briqs. It was up to 300* with clean blue in about 30 minutes. Next time I'm going to try it at 325 to see if I can get a little better skin.

[@will work for bbq: I apologize for going off on a tangent, but your mod got the ol creaky wheels turning!)

No worries, I love the brain storming it helps to spur other ideas. :thumb:

That mod looks great!

The other thing I thought of that would work fine- 22 inch rebar with the last 2 inches of both end bent to 90 degrees. It will fit fine across the weber grate and will distribute the weight evenly. I would try it myself (and probably will once I get a wsm) if I didn't already have a PBC on the way.

This would work, pricy though...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Seasoned-Cooking-Surface-Modular-Grills/dp/B004BRNUIC/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_3_02DH"]http://www.amazon.com/Seasoned-Cooking-Surface-Modular-Grills/dp/B004BRNUIC/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_3_02DH[/ame]

Here are dimensions for an 18-1/2" WSM if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• weber Model 18 5.pdf
    4.1 KB · Views: 41
Ya know what I love about this place?... Fertile minds. Throw an idea out there and immediately you have the power of the brethren mulling it over, sharing what they have already tried, and letting you know what they think might work better. Love it!

The Weber grate above reminded me that I have this: http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_507255_-1

I have used it on my performer for some time and like it a lot. If I can't hang the meat off the outer grate i can at least get some bars to lay across the hole left by the insert. Plus, its on clearance now.

Time to go shopping!

Does the 18.5 section of that Academy grate fit an 18.5 WSM?

great as hobby.
If turning to a business, it will be a disaster.
1.waste too much material
2.cheaper to weld by iron bar,
3.raise hanger up to takes use more space of cover

great as hobby.
If turning to a business, it will be a disaster.
1.waste too much material
2.cheaper to weld by iron bar,
3.raise hanger up to takes use more space of cover

Thanks I agree, that's why I stated earlier that the one piece would cost more than having the outer ring rolled and the cross bars welded in which is how I was going to do it but I was pressed for time. With the one piece you would actually be paying for a 22" x 22" square piece of plate with more drop than finished product. I have plans to make a raised adapter to fit on this unit so I can use it to hang bacon.

Does the 18.5 section of that Academy grate fit an 18.5 WSM?

Yes it does - it is designed to fit both sizes of grill. The insert alone can be used as a CI grate for an 18.5" grill and the two pieces used together fit a 22.5" grill. I returned the $80 (WTF??) CI grill sold as a BGE accessory when I realized that the insert would fit my LBGE. You don't get the pretty sear marks, but who cares?

Back