uds door/ basket shake

stevenw106

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
i have a door on my uds so if you dont have a door how do you shake fire basket on long cooks mine seems to get choked up

I've seen some use a wire (coat hanger) through a small hole in the side of the UDS that's hooked to the basket. Then just move the wire back & forth a little to shake the ash off the coals.

I either kick it or pull it up by one of the handles and kinda shake it up and down.

Couple "taps" from my boot heel seems to do the trick for me.

close the air intake...
wait a few minutes..
kick the fool outta the drumpit
wait a few minutes..
open the air intake...

by closing the air intake first, it ensures that
no ash swirls up and gets deposited on foodstuffs....

Are you using lump or briqs?

I've only had problems with lump on long cooks choking out. I remove the cook grate/meats and give the basket a few shakes with my "chit hook".

I only run straight lump on short cooks-@4-5 hours, any longer I'll mix lump and briqs.

really does amount of fuel change
A 10 lb sack is a 10 lb sack! I have never had problems with lump choking out, The 3 times I tried Briquettes ( different brands) I had problems. They only briquettes I buy are HEB Grand Champion ( these are made from Lump) I use a 1/2 chimney (Aprox. 15) to fire the UDS.

I use a mix of briq's and lump and chunks. Never needed to shake it. Longest ive smoked has been 7 hours.

i cleaned about 3 inches of ash and greese out i gues when i was shaking the hell oot of basket made pizza pan spill

Back