• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Remote Thermometors (like the maverick)

allancoh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking to get a remote thermometer I can keep with my in the house to monitor the smoker. The maverick 732& 733 have been coming up a lot but on amazon there are just as many good reviews as bad ones. Wondering what you all might think and if there are some other good brands that will do the job.

Not for the price...

Treat your probes with care (no pinching wires, no extreme direct heat, and no submerging probe/wire joint in water....just a careful rinse and wipe clean) and it will be a good tool for you.

Also, buy spare probes for when they fail (they will...despite your careful use), but buy them from here when they get the basic ones back in stock as they are significantly cheaper than from Maverick or Amazon.

http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Ma...-3-foot-Probe-ET-732-ET-733-Hybrid-3-foot.htm

I have had 2 remote thermometers for years and never had any problems with them. The probe broke on one of them when it was new and Maverick replaced it for free, no questions asked. Be careful with the probes and you should have no problem.

I have the Maverick 733 and it works great. There may be better models, but they also cost a lot more. I agree with Peeps, get extra probes. I am waiting for them to go on sale and then buy a couple.

Thanks all. Are you guys running the wires through your air vents or just throughyour door/cover and then closing it?

On my kettle, I drilled holes in the bowl so I didn't have to fiddle with wires when lifting the lid.

On Earl, I have little slots cut at the door to allow them to pass through to the cook chamber.

On Colt, they just go through the door.

On Major, I go through the lid vent as it was meant for a camping cooker and I don't expect I'll bring the Maverick on every camping trip.

I use the Maverick 732 and haven't had any issues with it. I have an American BBQ Systems Bar-be-Cube which has a very heavy lid and I run both probes through the lid and haven't had any issues with them getting crushed. I am careful that I don't let the lid drop on them though. I clean my probes with Clorox wipes and that also seems to work well to avoid the water issue they can have. Treat the probes with a little care and you shouldn't have any issues.

My 2014 WSM has the built in pass through hole for them. What do you Q with?

You cant lose with the Maverick. Lids and doors wont hurt the probe wires.

I am sure there are many good and many bad reviews on many different items. The main reason is because there are people who take care and properly clean and carefully store the probes and the unit, while others may just throw them in the drawer. Your tools must be properly cared for and taken care of. I am sure there are also other people who expect to receive high end laboratory grade equipment for $60.00...

When I first started out I had a Maverick and used it for two years without any issues. Keep away from water, carefully clean, and safely store and you will have no problems. I have since passed my maverick to another family member who started smoking and it still works today.

I never ran the cable through the vent, because it is he hottest part of the WSM/Kettle. The vent is where the exhaust, smoke, and heat exit, thus heat rises and it is always hotter in the dome than at grate level. I do not know what the probes are rated at now, but mine were rated at 400°, although the vent may not have reached 400° but I felt the extended exposure to high temperature can slowly degrade the cable insulation. I always notched or used a grommet in my cookers at grate level when I used the Maverick.

Look at the reviews realistically and consider the actual complaint, some will be valid, some are just idiots sounding off.

Bottom line is: for the price, it is a good unit and will give you many years of service if you use care when using and storing it.

I have 3 732s & the better quality hybrid probes for each..
They are not perfect but close enough for the price.
I would recommend them to anyone looking for an inexpensive way to roughly monitor the pit grate temp without opening the doors..

I've run a 732 in my Performer for about five months. I've had no problems. Drill a hole, don't run it through the top vent. Treat the probes very gently. Wipe off with an alcohol swab, don't "wash" them.

I have the 733 and it's been the key to my early grilling success with the Weber Kettle. I run the wires under the lid (for the time being) and wrapped the wires with foil to add a little extra protection from getting pinched. No issues so far. I couldn't imagine grilling without the 733 - being able to walk around the house, hang out with guests insude, etc. while monitoring temps is just amazing.

I've used ET-732s for years. The only failure I experienced in that time was due to operator error (I sold, rented and built, moving twice in 1 year). I left the batteries in, and suffered the expected total loss when the batteries puked their guts. My bad.

The one thing I'll add re the probes is that they need to be FULLY seated in the transmitter. The first few times you use it, it may feel like they're all the way in, but give a good, firm push to make sure. [I had some intermittent issues with the replacement ET-732s I bought, and then remembered my own advice.:icon_blush:]

Since this thread is about the ET-732, I won't mention that my new Tappecue shipped yesterday.:becky: Aside from the WiFi connectivity and the Android app, I like the 4-probe configuration. Perfect for my YS-640 (I have 2 probe ports on it; each one handles two probes easily; 1 for right-side grate temp and 3 for meat).

Like I said, I won't mention it.:crazy::heh::mod:

I've had two Maverick 732's for a few years and love them. For me, they strike the right balance between features and price. I got the longer, more heavy duty replacement probes and just run them under the lid. I just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in my wsm's. I've had one or two probes go out over the years, but replacement probes are easy to get and not horribly expensive.

Just my .02. Got the older model ET73 for Xmas. Used it for the first time on Saturday for a brisket cook on the BPS UDS. except for the power switch being under the battery door( which I did know of beforehand) it's very cool.
Just in case you're budget conscious.

I have the old et73 as well and the range on that is better than the igrill i had and the newer one goes farther than the one i have...

Yeah, the switch being under the battery door convinced me to pay for the extra for the et-732. I have a bad history of breaking battery door tabs while taking them on and off, so I just couldn't see it lasting long with me being a "bull in the china shop" at times ... especially since beer is often involved before time to turn them off.

The first and only remote thermoprobe I've used is the ET-732. I've not had it more than about 4 months, but no issues to date. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Back