Brethren

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to this post. I have built 2 drums and have gained so much information from each that have posted to help me along the way in building mine without any issues at all except my lousy computer skills

Smokerking - I received my package today from you all I can say is wow awesome job on the plates I am impressed!!!!! Thanks so much for your advice, and help I really appreciate it!!

Todd

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to this post. I have built 2 drums and have gained so much information from each that have posted to help me along the way in building mine without any issues at all except my lousy computer skills

Smokerking - I received my package today from you all I can say is wow awesome job on the plates I am impressed!!!!! Thanks so much for your advice, and help I really appreciate it!!

Todd

Sure, thank you!

Let me know how the diffuser works out for you!

Well it is hard to believe but I finally made it to the end, 751 pages and 11264 post.

Now I know what Rocky felt like when he hit the top of the steps........:-D

There is one question that needs to be answered "How do I get this liner out and do I need to burn it out?" Just kidding I'm not sure how many times that it was ask.

Just one more thing to think about, When in doubt burn it out........

Thanks everyone for the great information and the entertainment as well.

Last edited:
Thanks, keep in mind that those adjustable grate racks can be bolted to the drum, you don't need to weld them.

Thanks for the tip. The next barrel the wife wants to add this feature so looks like another barrel will be made for the in laws.
I also seen your reply on a post about what you used for your thermometer to go through the drum but dont remember what it was nor can I find the post. It looked like a fitting of some kind with a rubber groumet were did you get that from?

Todd

Thanks for the tip. The next barrel the wife wants to add this feature so looks like another barrel will be made for the in laws.
I also seen your reply on a post about what you used for your thermometer to go through the drum but dont remember what it was nor can I find the post. It looked like a fitting of some kind with a rubber groumet were did you get that from?

Todd

Halex 1/2" water tight conduit connector;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-2-in-Water-tight-Conduit-Connector-90661/100170032#.Ug2rFJLkvVo

The one pictured looks different, the rubber is elongated, the ones I bought were round and a smaller hole in it. Lowes carries them too.
They don't come with nuts, be sure to buys one / some. Both Mavericak probes can fit through one fitting.

This thing is coming along quite well. My uncle came up with the idea of butterfly valves like on an old fuel injection system.

1175165_10152403651842524_1265972665_n.jpg

that's a vicious intake system! Make sure the exhaust is higher then the intake (if it is pls disregard this post)

This thing is coming along quite well. My uncle came up with the idea of butterfly valves like on an old fuel injection system.

1175165_10152403651842524_1265972665_n.jpg

that's a vicious intake system! Make sure the exhaust is higher then the intake (if it is pls disregard this post)

haven't done that part yet, but I will make sure it is.

Do you guys regulate the exhaust too, or just the intake?

Prolly been asked a thousand times but best place to buy a new unlined drum is? Sorry for the redundancy.. These look amazing, cannot wait to start it. My 120 reverse flow build is winding down.

Prolly been asked a thousand times but best place to buy a new unlined drum is? Sorry for the redundancy.. These look amazing, cannot wait to start it. My 120 reverse flow build is winding down.

If you live in a large metropolitan area you have a better chance of finding a new drum or "container" vendor nearby. If you live in a rural area, you're looking at longer trip if you want new.

Here is an example of where I bought mine in Phoenix;

Sunwest Container

http://www.sunwestcontainer.com/metal-drums.html

haven't done that part yet, but I will make sure it is.

Do you guys regulate the exhaust too, or just the intake?

You want exhaust full open and regulate with intake- choking exhaust can give bitter smoke taste.........:puke:

That's a great looking intake!

I was thinking of doing a butterfly valve as well. But, I couldn't find an existing one the right size and wasn't adventurous enough to make my own.

Got my UDS all painted now. How long do I need to wait before seasoning it? The paint can says it takes a week to fully cure, but can be handled in an hour. Since the seasoning process will help cure the paint, do I need to wait the week?

I'm getting impatient. Had it all set up to paint last week, let dry for a week while I was out of town, and season it this weekend. But, I let my 15 yr old daughter help with the painting last Sunday. After some instruction and initial supervision, she was doing a good job. Went into the house for a few minutes and when I came back out she had 8 or so runs in the paint. Oh well.

Back