• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Injuries...what's yours?

Not exactly BBQ accident but I was carving a ham for Easter with an electric knife my wife had from a previous marriage ( should have known better!!). The handle broke off of the knife and fell to the floor slicing my leg near the ankle about 4 inches long and very deep! Hello ER and cold food. 9 stitches to close. Nice scar though!
Ken

i cut my calf smooth open with a cheapo harbor freight angle grinder... and 8 sticthes later was out there working again on my offset build in my AVI.. smh.. blade binded and broke.. hit my calf.. cut it open.. my shoe was covered in blood as soon as i looked down..

Worst for me was probably several years ago on the morning of our big BBQ, was about to prep the cabbage for slaw for the pulled pork sandwiches, went to core one of the cabbages, knife stuck in the core and my finger continued to go down.
Bandaged it, but it was still bleeding, had the Brisket and Pork in the coolers and someone else was attending to the ribs, so a quick trip to urgent care, a stitch and a tetanus shot later, back before the first guests showed up.
Now I buy pre-shredded cabbage.

Lots of various bumps bruises and burns but the one that really stands out was when I was about 14 or 15.
We had one of those old round grills with the half hood on it like you would see in a leave it to beaver episode. So I was home alone and wanted a burger for lunch, poured in the charcoal and wouldn't ya know it, no lighter fluid,(I didn't know any better back then. So being an enterprising and resourceful individual I got about a 1/2 cup of mower gas and poured it on the charcoal. Now, I wasn't a total idiot back then, I knew the gas would flare. So I stood back about 5 ft and started flipping matches at it. 4th or 5th try WHOOOMP, she caught! and when it did that half hood focused all that fire right at me! I lost most of the hair off the front of my head. my eye brows and all the hair out of the inside of my nose. most of my face and my ears looked like I fell asleep in the sun, Or on the sun, no blistering but some peeling later. When the folks got home I was still soaking my face in a bowl of ice water.
Mom was worried and dad said later he didn't know wether to take me to the dr. laugh or whip my butt.
I ended up ok, no permanent damage. Just a stupid haircut for a while, and Dad never did whup me, but I never used gas again!!

I usually smoke in flip flops. I was moving some foiled up boston butts in a disposable aluminum pan and the juices leaked out into the pan, which crumpled a bit like they always do and dripped onto the top of my foot. I didn't realize it when it happened, but later my foot just felt itchy and I looked down. I have a permanent scar there from that burn. I still have nerve feelings in my hand, though they are slowly dying off from all the grabbing of hot food. I think that is a true sign of a bbq champion, when you can just grab that hot food and not flinch, heh.

This happened Saturday on my mini uds.
20130611_165339_zpsa739858b.jpg

Cooking ABT's.... Bacon drips... Fire FLARES UP!!!! Put the lid on... Kill the fire.... Remove lid... Look to see that ABT's aren't burnt to a crisp... WHOOPOOSH!!!! Burst of oxygen and three foot flame takes off my goatee and eyebrows!!! Good thing my firefighter buddy was there..... To laugh and point!!!

Worse injury I ever experienced was to our house when I let my wife tend the grill.

150744410.jpg

:tsk:

j/k :biggrin1:

I wasnt exactly BBQing, but making a jerk marinade using jalapeño. I was all out of gloves and thought I had washed my hands well enough. Well I didn't and ended up getting it in my eye. This caused my nose to run and got it in my nose as well. I ended up with my face in a bowl of milk. Good times.

Propane tank fell out of car and broke big toe.

Sliced finger pad off on a mandolin

Various burns on arms and legs from embers... the usuall

I wasnt exactly BBQing, but making a jerk marinade using jalapeño. I was all out of gloves and thought I had washed my hands well enough. Well I didn't and ended up getting it in my eye. This caused my nose to run and got it in my nose as well. I ended up with my face in a bowl of milk. Good times.

I had that happen last football season making some ABT's. I never get much sleep the night before games anyways and that cut it by HALF :mmph:

My wife and I were making dinner on New Years Eve a few years back when my oldest son was just a baby. I was cooking some stuff on the grill and she was cooking a pork loin in the oven. The recipe made you cook the pork loin in a skillet inside the oven(This is an important fact I wish I had known). So, I come in from outside and needed a spot on the stove. My wife had not a minute earlier removed the skillet with the loin from the oven where it had been baking for some time and thus VERY hot. I unknowingly grabbed the handle of the skillet to move it with my bare hand. It was so hot, I could not get myself to let go so I had to smack my hand holding the skillet with my free hand in order to release it. Dinner was all over the floor and I was in some pain. I can take a lot of pain, but that farking hurt. A couple of pain pills later, I was passed out by 10. Great night. Morale of the story: Don't let wife cook something on the stove that should be Q'd.

Last edited:
Not Q related but...I was frying up some green tomatoes once. VERY HOT oil and VERY JUICY tomatoe slices, even through the breading. POP! Goes a huge blob of grease. My brain very quickly calculated the trajectory but there was no time to react. Splashed right on and quickly spread over my left palm. Did I mention VERY HOT oil?
I was up all night with my hand stuck in a bucket of ice and it STILL hurt like a be-atch. Had a blister the size of Texas.

Back