something to ponder in the off season

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
do you like to cook hungry or full? if i am full my interest in eating and cooking is drasticly reduced therefore i try to stay as hungry as possible when in competition (not that it has ever helped in a major way). do you have a preference and do you feel that cooking hungry provides "THE EDGE"?

i always cook hungry. i feel, unfounded as it may be, that my taste buds are sharper, and i can discern flavor profiles better. i.e, i mixed the sauce right, i put on eough/too much rub, etc. etc.

I don't think it's a preference, but we always seem to have empty stomachs on turn-in day... It's probably better than being full because we are more willing to sample multiple thighs, bones, chunks and slices than we would be inclined to do if we had breakfast that morning... Who knows if that actually helps us or not. Something to test in the off season I suppose. :p

Interesting ... I've only cooked in three contest and I've cooked for big parties at the house when ever I bbq I notice I don't eat and like you said you will sample when stuff is ready... I never really eat eat that night either come to think of it...and im usually starving following day... but you are right you get the REAL FLAVOR ... HMMMM interesting

I think if I were too hungry ANYTHING would taste good to me, but full, I wouldn't find anything all that special. I guess I cook neither hungry OR full. I DO know that by the end of the weekend I'm wanting ANYTHING other than BBQ.
Ice cream anyone?
There's a new thread for ya... what do you crave after a Q comp weekend?

I start a cook hungover, sleepy, and needing a good shower. Then finish wide awake, clean and enjoying several cold beer.

And making animal noises :becky:

At a competition I am not starving, but I generally eat lighter that morning, so I guess I am hungry.

I think if I were too hungry ANYTHING would taste good to me, but full, I wouldn't find anything all that special. I guess I cook neither hungry OR full. I DO know that by the end of the weekend I'm wanting ANYTHING other than BBQ.
Ice cream anyone?
There's a new thread for ya... what do you crave after a Q comp weekend?

that thread exists...i think it was Mcdonalds. at least in my mind it is:shocked:

Well... I'm usually hungover the next morn at comps which means that I'm not eating much, so I usually skip bfast in the am. I eat very little other than tasting during turn-ins and nothing else until after the last turn in. (With the exception of 6 shots of bourbon throughout the turn in series and few at 10am for good luck).

So I guess I cook hungry... but I'm not really hungry, I'm just hungover... But I'm also a few shots of bourbon in, before we start turning in ... so I suppose I'm buzzed as well. I guess I like to cook hungover, hungry and buzzed... It worked out pretty well for us this year - I may have to double up next year :becky:

If I am hungry, I would take cold, moldy, dropped in dirt, deep fried chicken feet and tell you it was great and we should put it in a box and turn it in. I become evil if I haven't had breakfast by 9am, so instead of running my team off and getting in trouble with my wife I eat.
I don't cook hungover. I just go ahead and start drinking to cure my hangover. Two cold beers and a bacon, egg and cheese croissant from the BK lounge.
In Greensboro, NC I found a place that makes the best biscuits! It is called biscuitville. I could have ate a dozen.
I guess I could have given the short answer. No hungry here.

If I am hungry, I would take cold, moldy, dropped in dirt, deep fried chicken feet and tell you it was great and we should put it in a box and turn it in. I become evil if I haven't had breakfast by 9am, so instead of running my team off and getting in trouble with my wife I eat.
I don't cook hungover. I just go ahead and start drinking to cure my hangover. Two cold beers and a bacon, egg and cheese croissant from the BK lounge.
In Greensboro, NC I found a place that makes the best biscuits! It is called biscuitville. I could have ate a dozen.
I guess I could have given the short answer. No hungry here.

ha! my wife's the same way...she must eat, or the world ends. at least mine does.

I find it hard to eat the day of the competition. The smell of the smoke and the lack of sleep must curve my appetite.

Yeah Ron it's always funny to see half a dozen people or so walk around to the back of the villa looking for my chicken and hawgs :becky:

I don't usually eat breakfast at home or at a comp.

If I don't get coffee in the morning, you best just stay the f**k out of my way. That's why I love cooking comps when Ron_L is there.

I reckon I cook hungry then.

And after a comp, I want a salad.

I try to eat a little something just to wake up the buds but not too much I want a modest appetite so that I have the desire to taste my turn ins. After turn ins I like a jack-n-coke never bbq.

We cook hungry...who the hell has time to eat? :becky:

I usually don't eat much all weekend. It seems like I forget to eat and then in the morning with a hangover food doesn't sound that good. I just hope for the best and try a few bites of each turn-in. Mainly for the tenderness and not the taste. It usually taste the same (unless I inject brisket with my pork injection):crazy:

Back