• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Homemade Sauce

You don't even need a specialty store anymore. You can go down the hispanic/mexican food aisle of most grocery stores now and buy whole spices on the cheap in those little cellophane bags. They are far superior to the pre-ground stuff which is ridiculously pricey for what you get.

I haven't seen that at my stores, but admittedly - I haven't been looking. I'll be sure to check that out next time I go. Thanks for the tip!

I've tried to make sauce a few times, but I always go back to the Williamson Brothers sauce I get at sams. It's a local business and at $10 for a gallon, it's hard to beat.

it's frustratingly fun making your own sauce. it was a crazy journey for me -- started out with a basic recipe and tweaked it to my liking, bombed a few times, started over-thinking it and it turned into a 'kitchen sink' sauce, re-tooled it to make it simpler, was kinda 'meh', tried an old family recipe, was very 'blah', wife was getting irritated as there was no consistency with the recipes... and THEN, out of nowhere, i said 'screw it', slapped some very simple ingredients together and -- voila. had to tame my heat ingredients just a tad for my wife, but trying out my 'perfected' sauce this weekend on some BB's.

long story short -- don't over-think it, simple is better. you're bound to hit some bumps in the road, but it may just 'come out of nowhere'. (and happy wife = happy life :thumb:)

Sauce is tough. I have tried making some homemade KC style sauce that was supposed to the best thing ever and i really didn't care for it. We are in Louisiana and it seems most bbq places serve a very sweet sauce. Usually here there are roughly 4 options on the table. I don't really like the ones with to much heat. I'm looking for something along the lines of sweet baby ray's but actually off the charts good. Anyone have any suggestions?

I never had SBR so I don't know the flavor profile, the sauce I posted is very good a little spicy not heat and a little sweet.

vinegar based sauce
1 qt. white vin.
1/2 qt. apple cider vin.
1/2 qt. water
2tbs. mccormick seasonall (now morton's i think)
2tbs. restaurant grind black pepper
2tbs. garlic powder
2tbs. onion powder
2tbs. chipolte powder or to taste
2tbs. cayenne powder or to taste
1tbs. chili powder (hot)
1tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup teriaki sauce
1tbs. ground white pepper
40-50 oz. heinz ketchup
1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
1tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 pound brown sugar +/- to taste
mix parts cold, simmer 15-25 min, do not boil
add water if needed to thin
add 1" maderia wine to bottom of 1qt. mason jar when bottling. 1-2 tablespoons of butter if using immediately, or omit and add when used in future.
makes 3-4 qts.

this is my standard go to sauce. i have one other spice ingredient that i shall not disclose. use your imagination.

Is that red sauce like BH Tennessee Red? I have been wanting to figure that one out.

I initially used a base recipe from Raichlen's Sauces Rubs and Marinades book, I tweaked it from there to fit my personal tastes and it is amazing. I added whiskey, powdered honey, powdered peach, powdered smoke and a bunch of other things until I nailed the flavor I love most.

couldn't tell you. i've never tried bh. don't even know where to find it around here. been making my own sauce for about 20 yrs. always trying new sauces wherever i go. still like my homemade the best.

Steven Raichlen’s ---Adjusted

2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon of your favorite barbecue rub
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and bring slowly to a boil over medium-high heat until dark and thick 55 minutes. (15 min originally) (I use an electric stir motor to cook this long. Make a Foil tent to reduce the flying sauce)
Transfer the sauce to clean (or even sterile) jars and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.

Steven Raichlen's sauce is an excellent starting point. I follow the recipe above but add the following ingredients to crank up the sweetness:

1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup honey

Best part of making your own sauce is experimenting with different flavours. Have fun with it!

I like a KC style sauce as I'm not into the smell of vinegar. My ideal sauce would have no ketchup or vinegar, be sweet on the front end with a bit of tang in the middle, and heat on the back end.

Raichlen's sauce posted above looks promising. Maybe I could substitute the acidity in lemon/lime juice for the vinegar, replace the ketchup with tomato paste, and add the apple juice and honey as suggested till it has the amount of sweet I like on the front end. Then I could add some of the serrano or jalapeno powder I made a couple of weeks ago till I get the amount of heat I want on the back end.

that apple bbq sauce looks amazing. I may have to experiment with it. how hot is it with the chili peppers? (my dad is kind of weak sauce when it comes to hot) lol.. when you store it in portables do you leave the onion and apple slices in there? or do you take them out?

that apple bbq sauce looks amazing. I may have to experiment with it. how hot is it with the chili peppers? (my dad is kind of weak sauce when it comes to hot) lol.. when you store it in portables do you leave the onion and apple slices in there? or do you take them out?

I don't think the heat is that over powering, but you or your dads taste maybe different than mine. I like to chop finely so its kinda chunky, but I have also taken an immersion blender and smoothed it out a bit.

I cut the recipe for the Williams Sauce in half and it seems to make just a little more than a quart. I like to leave the apple and onion chucky but I usually dice it up pretty fine before adding them in. The sauce IMHO is pretty spicy if you try it on its own but really settles down once added to the meat.

Back