Trigg Rib Shigg From "BBQ Pitmasters"

Thanks for all the effort in starting this thread. Good presentation.

It seems that pretty much everyone knows what they like & most are ready to jump off into the deep end to try something a little different. The quest continues.

Besides the delicious results, that's a big part of the fun.

How long were they wrapped and under heat this way? Meat side down?

That right there is the half million dollar (Johnny's lifetime earnings) question.

Recipes are simply guidelines. It takes experience to know the exact amount of time and you'll soon figure out that there is no EXACT amount of time (my "guess" is something in the 2 hour range).

The only substitution for experience is doing something over and over again. :p

Wrong....

Sorry to disagree with you but I have used butter only once and I ended up with carbon coated ribs and I cook at 225 degrees. I was as shocked as anyone. I thought butter would make everything better. Just to clarify, I use the 3-2-1 method too.

Are those guys 3-2-1 with the parkay, or stopping after the foiling?

Aren't they boxing right after pulling from the foil?

Ron

Does he use a sauce or is the honey/parkay, tiger sauce and brown sugar the sauce?

I use the "5" method.

Trim 'em. Rub 'em. Cook 'em till they bend 90 degree and you got lots of "Pig Honey" weeping out (usually about 5 hours depending on what temp the smoker is running at). Brush 'em with sauce and cook about 10 minutes more.

Notice the bold. I've learned to adjust to the smoker temp instead of trying to bend the smoker temp to my will.

There is no spoon.

Does he use a sauce or is the honey/parkay, tiger sauce and brown sugar the sauce?

He may use some other kind of sauce but that's all that has been gleaned from the BBQ Pitmasters episodes so far.

It's a mixture of sugar,cayenne pepper and Tiger urine,,, at least thats what it tastes like to me,,,lol I don't care for it, but I'm sure some people do.

:p

I haven't tried Tiger Sauce on ribs, so I don't know how it tastes after it cooks on.

Out of the bottle, to me it tastes a lot like a sweet version of tabasco sauce.

dang nice write up, must have taken some time to document all that

Thanks, I'm just trying to make a contribution to the board to pay back some of those who have shared some great info.

Here is an update - It looks like Trigg puts a glaze on his ribs. You can see the saucepan in the first pic and in the second pic you can see Paul (who claims he cooks "Trigg ribs") is putting a sauce from a saucepan on his ribs.

Trigg-26.jpg

Trigg-27.jpg

The secret is what's in the pan.

I'd like to know. My best guess is that it's the drippings from the foil.

Could it be Head Country? On the episode that Paul was experimenting with his ribs and tried a sauce that someone told him Johnny uses on his ribs, I noticed that he had a few different bottles of sauce sitting on his prep table. One was Blues hog, another was Head Country, and I can't remember the other. Then I noticed in a shot of Johnny at his pit (from above and at a distance) ....it looked like he had a bottle of Head Country sitting on the shelf on his pit, or a least the same shape bottle. I'm not sure that he was using it on ribs or not. Not sure? Also, I've heard of people cutting their sauce with the drippings in the foil.

Weldon

Proud owner of a WSM 22 1/2"
Visit my Blog: http://backyard-barbeque.blogspot.com/

Good question. I'd love to take a class that Trigg teaches. He is a master at his craft, that's for sure.

I have had his ribs and I know how he cook's them. My advise to everyone would be to take a class to learn how to do it the right way. One thing I'll say about Tiger Sauce, is it can ruin a rack of ribs in a heartbeat if used the wrong way.

I have had his ribs and I know how he cook's them. My advise to everyone would be to take a class to learn how to do it the right way. One thing I'll say about Tiger Sauce, is it can ruin a rack of ribs in a heartbeat if used the wrong way.

Well then share the wealth. No point in ruining a ton of ribs with Tiger Sauce.

OK, I cant find anything about a Trigg class, got any info?

Thanks, Eric

I've taken the class, and sampled some of his ribs at a comp. He's doing the same thing that he's teaching. With that being said, I'm not going to be the guy to spill the beans on something he may be teaching in a future class. Rod and Johnny charged a fair price for their class, and it's not my place to publish their material. I will say that if you have a chance to take a class with either, or goth, of them in the future that it will be well worth it.

Back