• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Flavor Help !!!!!!!!!

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Did a packer last weekend and really need more flavor. Steeped some Montreal Steak Seasoning in half chicken and half beef broth, little woorsty,pinch of cayenne, cooled, strained and injected. Mustard slather then rubbed with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Smooked, foiled, and into cooler for couple or three hours. Texture and moisture were fine. Bark was a little disappointing but the flavor was not WOW. What would you suggest to get some really good flavor. Just was too bland and not near tasty enough. Thanks for any suggestions as always find great help here.

TE, about 11 lb packer, smoked about 6 hrs to 165 degrees, foiled another 1 1/2 hrs and to 195 degrees and checked with a probe for tender. Smoked, maybe 45 minutes longer until I thought was tender enough. Fuel was K with some hickory and a little apple. Was using the UDS. Taste was fine but just too common. Lots of folks really like it but to me it really needed that extra flavor. What do you suggest? Your help is appreciated.

when I use MSS on a brisket, I put it on VERY heavy and cut it about 3:1 with turbinado(1) and a little bit of cayenne. Did you lay it on thick, or just do the salt type sprinkle like the spice fairy?

PooBah, didn't put near enough rub on. Prepared rub ahead of time for two briskets and didn't have the spices available at the cooksite to make more. My mistake. Still think I need something to add a flavor I am missing...just don't know the best spices to kick it up. Thanks for any help.

blues, I have never used mesquite:eek: Wandered if the taste would be noticable and especially with the sweeter KC type Q around here. I simply don't know. Thanks.

Might have been the meat, lots of flavor difference in breed, finish, etc of the beef.

Apparently I need some help on my brisket as well...37th out of 39 was kinda dissapointing-especially since I was really happy with it,LOL!

Like you said, inject it with beef broth and if you can find any, get some Earl Campell's all purpose seasoning rub.

P.S. You owe me fifty for the idea!

Back