View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Default First cook: new to me offset (ride along)

I recently picked up a New Braunfels Black Diamond to see what it would be like to cook on a stick burner. Yesterday I picked up a 14 pound brisket that is about two feet long for this cook. It looks like it will be a better fit in the offset than the 22 WSM.

I started with some mods. These are temporary so I can see how they work. This grill has charcoal greates which I wrapped in heavy duty aliminum foil to convert them to tuning plates.

I also extended the stack to grate level.

Split some oak and box elder I had drying in the back yard.

This morning I lit some lump and used that to light a modest fire.

It turned out to be too modest, only getting the cooker to about 150°F before the box elder burned off without getting the oak going. I added more of each and soon the temps in the smoke chamber shot past 300°. They leveled off at about 360° at both ends and started to drop. (I'm monitoring cooker temperature with both probes of my ET-732 laying on the grate.) At 320° I put the meat on and threw a couple more splits on.

Now I'm watching cooker temperature and learning the joys of temperature management. And all of you get to ride along for better or worse.