Which Aged Balsamic Vinegar Do You Use?

Modenaceti has the seal. (Italian Denominazione di origine protetta)

What did he say? I cant see a thing.

Yeah, that used to drive me crazy on Bucc's posts. But now I've found if you highlight the part that's hard to see 'cause it's printed in yellow or light blue or something else unreadable, then you can see it just fine. :smile:

Oops! Never mind. :redface: Ahem... so about that balsamic vinegar... :rolleyes:

:heh:
Gaol achieved...wanted to see 4 pages on balsamic in the BBQ Brethren forum...we are some classy folk!

Yeah, now watch we don't get moved for being whack-a-doodles. :roll:

I was lucky enough to visit Acetaia San Giacomo Balsamico facility in the Emilia Romagna part of Italy this past year. Ended up buying quite a few different Balsamico's after doing the tasting there. As others have said, you only use the good stuff as a light final dress to a dish. A little goes a long way. But it is pretty incredible stuff. Very interesting to visit the place and see how it is aged.

AcetaiaSanGiacomoBalsamico.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Balsamic-Vinegar-Modena/dp/B008BYZ4DU"]Trader Joe's Balsamic Vinegar of Modena: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

Holy cow, that stuff is less than half the Amazon price in a Trader Joe's store.

Someone mentioned boiling down balsamic vinegar to make it more like the traditional balsamico. I've done this; Costco has a good balsamic vinegar in a large container. Just slow cook it down until it is about half the volume. Takes quite a while, and I highly recommend doing it outdoors. Unless you like your whole house to smell like vinegar. Take a guess how I figured this out. And no, I'm not a rocket scientist...

Holy cow, that stuff is less than half the Amazon price in a Trader Joe's store.

Someone mentioned boiling down balsamic vinegar to make it more like the traditional balsamico. I've done this; Costco has a good balsamic vinegar in a large container. Just slow cook it down until it is about half the volume. Takes quite a while, and I highly recommend doing it outdoors. Unless you like your whole house to smell like vinegar. Take a guess how I figured this out. And no, I'm not a rocket scientist...

I shop mainly at 2 places Costco and Amazon, so i will try both of these methods. Might try the TJ form Amazon first since it is a smaller volume.

I shop mainly at 2 places Costco and Amazon, so i will try both of these methods. Might try the TJ form Amazon first since it is a smaller volume.

The Costco balsamic vinegar is a very good deal and tastes good. The Trader Joe's balsamic is a good deal if you buy at the store and tastes a little better in my opinion. I don't think the Costco price for the big bottle is any more than the Amazon price for the little bottle.

Interesting thread ... Ive only had it a few times and liked it but really never followed thru, now this thread answered alot of questions and now i know more how its used and what to look for .

Thanks Brethren for Edgeucatin my soofisticated palate some more !!
Seriously Thanks !:caked:

The Costco balsamic vinegar is a very good deal and tastes good. The Trader Joe's balsamic is a good deal if you buy at the store and tastes a little better in my opinion. I don't think the Costco price for the big bottle is any more than the Amazon price for the little bottle.

I purchase it in store and only used Amazon's link as a reference.

As with others, I buy "decent" stuff from Sam's and then reduce it by half. I also make my own red and white wine vinegars...age and reduce them, too.

Back