I found this in the shed

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here is a pic of some apple and other fruit woods. It has some green fuzzies on the outside of it. It was in there all winter and it was humid so it grew some mold on it. Should i still use it?

thanks

Let it set in the sun. The same mold spores are on all wood in your area. At most, remove the bark. It should burn off before the cooker temps stabilize, anyway.

Wouldn't the problem with smoking/cooking with it be more that it's wet? I'd leave it out in the sun for a while to dry it out and then maybe scrape off the bark if I was dead set on using it.

Wouldn't the problem with smoking/cooking with it be more that it's wet? I'd leave it out in the sun for a while to dry it out and then maybe scrape off the bark if I was dead set on using it.

oh yeah i have it in the sun ontop of the roof and it is drying out quickly. Asphalt shingles are great heaters haha.

thanks for the replies. i have plenty of other wood to use but just gettin the stuff ready. haha

Are you sure the mold is only on the outside? If so, you might be okay scraping it off and using it with food. If not, and the wood is rotting, and the mold is also inside of it some, I would just toss it and not even use it on campfires. You don't want to breathe in mold spores. If I had plenty of other wood and it were me and my family, I would toss it.

Are you sure the mold is only on the outside? If so, you might be okay scraping it off and using it with food. If not, and the wood is rotting, and the mold is also inside of it some, I would just toss it and not even use it on campfires. You don't want to breathe in mold spores. If I had plenty of other wood and it were me and my family, I would toss it.

Because the carcinogens off gassing in the wood smoke kissing your food for many hours is good for you? Run it!

The Southern California Air Quality Board says that you should never allow any wood to combust as it will kill everyone within a 1 mile radius. However if you "must combust" just pay them a nominal fee and and no one will die.

Mold is overrated. The media has everyone scared to death of it. Mold has been around since long before the dinosaurs. My company has made a lot of money conditioning hospitals even though we run tests and tell them it's not necessary to be concerned. Of course administrators have to CYA so they say do it. So we do.

I wouldn't even think twice about using it. Burning call it a day :)

Clint

Take it to the do-it-yourself carwash and simply blast off the crud...

Well, there you have it, LT: burn the outside first, use it as is, don't use it at all. Hope this cleared it up for you. :wink:

Last edited:
i swear, EVERYTHING tested in California causes cancer.... Drives me nuts. I know they have a rubber stamp that has that warning and they just stamp everything with it haha.

Back