Question about a difference of opinion

cubs204

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A friend and I are doing our first backyard competition in a couple of weeks. We are also vending during the event. We are having quite a few people come to help us out with the vending and one of the persons coming wants to wear a tank top. My partner is fine with this I am not because I do not believe people will want to buy food from someone who has armpit hair hanging out. Am I out of line?

A friend and I are doing our first backyard competition in a couple of weeks. We are also vending during the event. We are having quite a few people come to help us out with the vending and one of the persons coming wants to wear a tank top. My partner is fine with this I am not because I do not believe people will want to buy food from someone who has armpit hair hanging out. Am I out of line?

If it's a she then a shave is in order if it's a he then no tanks.

I don't think you are out of line at all. Appearance is everything. I may wear a tank top getting my truck ready, but before we pull out of HQ for an event I change into a polo shirt with the company logo and try to look like a polished professional as long as the heat will allow. It's your rig, so it's your rules. When I have a new person joining me to help, I explain my expectations for dress, conduct, etc. (They also get paid, so I guess I'm entitled). Good luck with your event.

Tanks are not the least bit appropriate for any sort of food prep or service. Between the dripping sweat and the dangling hairs, it's just a hygiene nightmare.

So your saying you wouldn't eat ribs served from this guy?

HairyMan.jpg

Ok, now that i just threw up a little in in my mouth...

agree.. tanks are not appropriate if your serving/handling food.

here in new mexico, it is against health code to serve with a sleeveless shirt. personally i would run someone off who tried to do that at my booth. hell i still wear long pants, short sleeve shirt, close toe shoes, no jewelry, hat and apron when serving. better for me to be a little hot than a lot broke cause somebody decided to relate improper attire to feeling ill.

OMG! Who has caught the sasquatch?

I think Elvis by the look of that couch!

Anyways you cant be extra cautious about stuff like that. All it takes is one person to ruin it for everyone. How many situations have we all gone threw that? Stick to your guns and remember when your serving to the public, looks really do matter. Its also a representation of your your crew and business as a whole. Why jeopardize that?

I have a dress code for anyone representing my company and it is non negotiable. You need to decide what you want to present to the community as representative of your company. Sloppy dress = sloppy food. People eat with their eyes first, that is why presentation is so important and why if your servers or chef's look unkept or sloppy the impression of the public will be that you don't care about the food either.

Don't worry she put on a team shirt before serving...

2sbvnuh.jpg

An update from the Sangamon County Health Dept concerning vending at the contest: Shirts must have some type of sleeve on them, tank tops are not allowed.

You are not out of line...I would demand that everyone wear a normal t-shirt out of respect for the public's health, even if it's a backyard event.

He forgot to mention that the person in question was a lady!!! :eek::crazy::clap2:

But the health dept solved the problem for us as mentioned below.

Back