• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whole RIB EYE for $1.71/lb!!!! What to do with it?

N

Noob

Let me say usually i am a pretty honest guy, but I kept my mouth shut when i saw a mislabel on this amazing cut of meat.

USDA Choice whole rib. It weighs in at 16.19 lbs and was a whopping $27.64! Other cuts of meat with this one were priced over $110!

20130409_093356_zps86ee485b.jpg

Anyways, been watching some Youtube vids on how to trim and fabricate steaks out of the whole rib eye.

That is all :D

Dang!!! That is an awesome find. I'd cut a bunch of steaks out of it, but also keep a good sized roast or two.

Now, I'm off to Sam's!

Dang!!! That is an awesome find. I'd cut a bunch of steaks out of it, but also keep a good sized roast or two.

Now, I'm off to Sam's!

Probably going to end up keeping 6-8 inches for a roast and slicing some 1" steaks. at less than $2 a pound, i may even invite my In-Laws over for steak :clap2:

I would spit roast the whole thing Santa Maria style. Invite the family over

I would dry age it in your refrigerator for 10 days to 2 weeks and then cut into cut into 1 ½ steaks. Cooked medium rare, grilled asparagus and sliced roasted fingerling potatoes. Of course a nice bottle of Cabernet. Great score!

Let me say usually i am a pretty honest guy, but I kept my mouth shut when i saw a mislabel on this amazing cut of meat.

USDA Choice whole rib. It weighs in at 16.19 lbs and was a whopping $27.64! Other cuts of meat with this one were priced over $110!

Anyways, been watching some Youtube vids on how to trim and fabricate steaks out of the whole rib eye.

That is all :D

pfffft, if they mismarked the price on that sucker, not yo fault. great find man!

what was it marked as? Heck I would have pointed it out and made them sell it to me for that price anyway.

:shock:

What to do with it?

Farkin COOK it bro!

I have a family of 6 and with the extended family, THAT would make for a real nice prime rib roast dinner, and a CHEAP one at that!

Or, as said....cut some nice steaks off of it and use a smaller roast if you're not feeding as many as I usually do when the family comes over (which is usually around 15).

DRY AGE, DRY AGE, DRY AGE!
Like gtr did this last Christmas.....

That's the one they found sitting in the corner when they came back in on Monday morning.:tongue:

So when people say prime rib that is the cut that I would be looking for?

So when people say prime rib that is the cut that I would be looking for?

Prime rib is just a saying. Rib eye and prime rib are the same thing. A Ribeye is when you cut it into steaks before cooking and prime rib is a ribeye that is sliced after cooking.

Go and age that thing! Will taste delicious after 4 weeks :becky:

Prime rib is just a saying. Rib eye and prime rib are the same thing. A Ribeye is when you cut it into steaks before cooking and prime rib is a ribeye that is sliced after cooking.

Good information, thank you!

Personally, I'd use some for steaks, some for roast.
That way you get to have it twice (two different ways).

At the minimum, wet age it for a week, longer would be better if you have a fridge that doesn't get opened all the time. I like to cut into 4" roasts, vac seal, and freeze. It keeps better that way than cutting individual steaks.

Back