Beef Rib Question

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, I was wandering aimlessly through the meat section of HEB yesterday, trying to think of something to cook this week. I saw two styles of beef ribs, short and finger ribs. The short ribs are individual pieces with a log of meat on each rib. The finger ribs were four or five bones connected together and didn't look like there was much meat there. I gather when y'all make beef ribs, you are using the short ribs? I did as the butcher if I could buy short ribs still connected together and he said yes.

The second picture is the price label for a brisket I found. I picked up by the flat end and it folded over like I was doing a rib test. Must have been tender. I almost got it, but need to wait until I have more room in the freezer...:tsk:

I ended up getting a pork tenderloin instead. Actually they are packages in pairs, so two of them I am going to butterfly, stuff, and smoke...

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 167
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 167
You don't want that brisket anyway, Terry. That one's just for braising. :thumb:

Yep, usually shorts are the beef ribs for smoking. Finger ribs are very small, thin, and not as fun...there's just something about seeing a bludgeon of beef with shorts that looks so cool!

Thanks for the rib info. And I gather you are joking about the Brisket...

Whew, I spent several hours looking for a brisket braising pan with no luck. Thank God I have my WSM. :mrgreen:

Good price on that brisket. I was just at Costco this weekend and the flats were still over $4 a pound.

So, I was wandering aimlessly through the meat section of HEB yesterday, trying to think of something to cook this week. I saw two styles of beef ribs, short and finger ribs. The short ribs are individual pieces with a log of meat on each rib. The finger ribs were four or five bones connected together and didn't look like there was much meat there. I gather when y'all make beef ribs, you are using the short ribs? I did as the butcher if I could buy short ribs still connected together and he said yes.

The second picture is the price label for a brisket I found. I picked up by the flat end and it folded over like I was doing a rib test. Must have been tender. I almost got it, but need to wait until I have more room in the freezer...:tsk:

I ended up getting a pork tenderloin instead. Actually they are packages in pairs, so two of them I am going to butterfly, stuff, and smoke...
Yeah, those short ribs are actually cut down beef chuck ribs, the full rib is actually about 8" long and then about 4" after they've been cut. I like to cook the full sized version and I ask a market employee to go to the back and bring me out a rack of beef chick ribs which is usually about four bones (the equivalent of 8 shorts) and looks like it came off of a brontosaurus! LOL!:razz:
Those things have a LOT of meat on them and are one of my favorite things to cook if I want some good beef but don't feel like a long brisket cook. Again, they usually only put the cut down shorts out on the shelf but you can ask for the whole rib in a full rack or however many bones that you want, try them some time you'll probably get hooked!:wink:

Yeah, those short ribs are actually cut down beef chuck ribs, the full rib is actually about 8" long and then about 4" after they've been cut. I like to cook the full sized version and I ask a market employee to go to the back and bring me out a rack of beef chick ribs which is usually about four bones (the equivalent of 8 shorts) and looks like it came off of a brontosaurus! LOL!:razz:
Those things have a LOT of meat on them and are one of my favorite things to cook if I want some good beef but don't feel like a long brisket cook. Again, they usually only put the cut down shorts out on the shelf but you can ask for the whole rib in a full rack or however many bones that you want, try them some time you'll probably get hooked!:wink:
Check out the "Dino Bones" thread by Seefyre, that's exactly what I like to cook!:-D

The beef ribs on the left are flanken style short ribs. They are dino bone short ribs that are cross cut. They make good korean style bbq better served marinated and grilled.

The middle ones are short ribs that are seperated and trimmed. These are the same as the Dino Bones but each bone is cut into 1/2 or 1/3s.

The ones on the right are beef back ribs. These have much less meat on them. I am not a fan of the beef back ribs and greatly prefer the short ribs over the beef back ribs.

I would personally get the middle one but ask the butcher for untrimmed ribs. They should have them in the back in cryovac packs. Cooking them in the full plates helps with more evenly cooked ribs

Back