Reflections on the "Jack"

luckyduk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have had a week and a half to think about this contest, and first off I want to say it was an honor to get drawn for this contest and we had a great time. It was great to meet so many new people.
My thoughts are in no way to take away anything from ANYONE that did well.
I am just wondering if I am thinking correctly or am I in the minority.
Does anyone else think that this contest was poorly ran, over-hyped and overall poorly organized?
In reference to: spaces (i basically shared a 20 X 30 with another team), percentage of cbj's vs. celebrity judges, payout, clusterfark with anything involved with the "hill", power, just a few thoughts?

I am going to respectfully disagree to a point.

We received lots of communications about the Jack contest. In fact more than any other contest.
They accommodated our request not to be put back in the inner circle as we were flooded out last time. They accommodated our request to bring in a 5th wheel to save money on a hotel. they greeted us as soon as we arrived and made it clear to us about the requirements on security check in. The Sheriff came by and greeted us and thanked us for coming.
We had no power issues. They checked on us 3 times to make sure we had our porta potty. We had meat inspection completed quickly.
Overall the organization from experience this year was great..
The Jack has never been about the money. While I believe the payouts should be higher I think of it as just a gift alone to be going. It is the only contest that really promotes International BBQ. Worldwide.
The judging doesn't bother me. You know it going in and it doesn't affect TOY points.

I think BBQ hill while beautiful - is absolutely over packed and I would not go up again. Not worth the line ups. I did not stay long. I don't care about free drinks. We were one of the last buses and that certainly didn't help.

Having said all this the Jack is a great way for Brown Forman to showcase their brand. It is a marketing and prestigious BBQ event and you have to look at it like that. Take from it what you can enjoy what you can. Enjoying the Jack with friends and teams from all over the world is an incredible experience.

I am going to respectfully disagree to a point.

We received lots of communications about the Jack contest. In fact more than any other contest.
They accommodated our request not to be put back in the inner circle as we were flooded out last time. They accommodated our request to bring in a 5th wheel to save money on a hotel. they greeted us as soon as we arrived and made it clear to us about the requirements on security check in. The Sheriff came by and greeted us and thanked us for coming.
We had no power issues. They checked on us 3 times to make sure we had our porta potty. We had meat inspection completed quickly.
Overall the organization from experience this year was great..
The Jack has never been about the money. While I believe the payouts should be higher I think of it as just a gift alone to be going. It is the only contest that really promotes International BBQ. Worldwide.
The judging doesn't bother me. You know it going in and it doesn't affect TOY points.

I think BBQ hill while beautiful - is absolutely over packed and I would not go up again. Not worth the line ups. I did not stay long. I don't care about free drinks. We were one of the last buses and that certainly didn't help.

Having said all this the Jack is a great way for Brown Forman to showcase their brand. It is a marketing and prestigious BBQ event and you have to look at it like that. Take from it what you can enjoy what you can. Enjoying the Jack with friends and teams from all over the world is an incredible experience.

Easy to say being parked under a 20 x 20 pavillion! :twisted:

I do know several teams had space and electric issues and the hill was CRAZY this year due to more teams and the arrival of Guy but it is what it is. Its the Jack and anybody i know would give their left nut to cook there. :thumb:

This was our second year to cook the Jack...I thought the organization and communication was excellent. BBQ Hill seemed to be overcrowded for folks arriving later in the evening...same as last year. The pay outs and judging leave a lot to be desired...but it is what it is. This was a very expensive trip for us...but well worth it for the simple reason that we got to visit with a LOT of family and friends in the area...and oh yeah...we got to cook a little bbq too!

I for one think things were a bit off from last year, the meet a greet at the gate was non existent power, free zone in the back 40/city park, things got back on track when meat inspection time came…them folks were on it !..…I did not go up on BBQ hill this year as last year it had more folks on it then I see around my town in year, team mates went up..…an came back with “it’s a mad house” ….judging was a bit different then last year as my scores were all over…(pic’s side by side with last years turns in’s reveled some of that) ……everyone seemed a bit …too… serious, still had a good time in all that hot weather….the jack folks had there plates full with all the people….so all in all …good job! ......i'm still sad the deep fried foot long corn dog guy was a no show ...as i had my eye and my own bottle of ketsup waiting on one :cry:

Last edited:
Ditto what others have said--also remember 'the jack' is what it is because of the volunteers who give a week(or more) of their time to help around the holler
Security was BS(imo anyway) but B-F must have hired a security guy that needed to prove his(or her) worth to the company)
that all said we had a great time and the weather was perfect!
Great way to end the bbq season and

Yeah the hill was crowded and we had some power issues. But compared to the other events we've done in the past two years it was pretty well-run, the folks were super nice and that goodie bag was really awesome! And the way I see it, it was an invitational event and we were fortunate enough to get that invite in our second year of competition when other deserving teams have been waiting for an invite for many years. So yeah we are happy. Didn't hurt we actually got hear our name called twice too.

poorly ran, over-hyped and overall poorly organized?
In reference to: spaces (i basically shared a 20 X 30 with another team), percentage of cbj's vs. celebrity judges, payout, clusterfark with anything involved with the "hill", power, just a few thoughts?

Ironic how 6,000+ teams still want to get in it!..

I was there, and grateful to be there. It's the Jack, it's different and that's part of what makes it special. I hope to be fortunate enough to go back and enjoy it again.

I was there, and grateful to be there. It's the Jack, it's different and that's part of what makes it special. I hope to be fortunate enough to go back and enjoy it again.

I hope to be there and do a shot with you... Those NEBS guys are wicked crazy... They do have good beeyah though...

The only thing i was disappointed in was everyone was in bed when i showed up... WTF.....:twisted:

I hope to be there and do a shot with you... Those NEBS guys are wicked crazy... They do have good beeyah though...

The only thing i was disappointed in was everyone was in bed when i showed up... WTF.....:twisted:

NEBSville was my destination of choice when I got out and about. I'll offer my public apologies now, because I neglected to offer you some local product when I came down off the hill and found you in our site:wink:

NEBSville was my destination of choice when I got out and about. I'll offer my public apologies now, because I neglected to offer you some local product when I came down off the hill and found you in our site:wink:

Don't you worry. Charlie and the ISS!!!/Lakeside folks took good care of me. Fortunately, the Sheriff didnt see me and i could enjoy a couple of hours... :becky:

....i'm still sad the deep fried foot long corn dog guy was a no show ...as i had my eye and my own bottle of ketsup waiting on one :cry:

Man....I was pissed they were not vending this year.....Good corn dog hard find in these parts...

We did our second straight and with 89 teams compared to 76 last year the spots seemed tighter even with parking lot full behind ball field...

No complaints...Easy to say though when cooking/staying out of me sisters and BIL 12'x40' RV.....

Mike from Lakeside Smokers managed hook up a beauty of a junction box that fed 6 teams with some power(we use RV generator)

We ended up meeting many good comp folk as usual...32 degree saturday morning was a twist.....

No doubt we would do it again if invited......

I was over on the vend side so we had plenty of space and great neighbors. The whole "security check-in" was silly & pointless but isn't that the case with most "security"? I had a good time and hope to be back.

Justin,
We are just proud of your representation at both the AR and the Jack.

What ever your experiences were, they will help you the next time you are there.

I know what will help your outlook, a nice portion of "apple pie"!

Not EVERYONE............:roll: Granted I was taking a stroll from Millionaires' Row.

I am just wondering if I am thinking correctly or am I in the minority.
Does anyone else think that this contest was poorly ran, over-hyped and overall poorly organized?

So much effort goes into getting the invite. A ton of online discussion in advance can hype it up. At the end of the day it is bbq contest like many others... it has some issues. But for me the location, the mix of teams and the adrenaline of getting a call at the Jack puts it at the top of my list.

After reading everyone's thoughts, maybe I was expecting too much, given how it is hyped up and being a world championship.

With that said I would be happy to get an invite again, but now I would know what to expect (or not to).

I was over on the vend side so we had plenty of space and great neighbors. The whole "security check-in" was silly & pointless but isn't that the case with most "security"? I had a good time and hope to be back.

You, Old, New, and the rest of the crew were great. Just glad we all stayed out of the creek!

What a great time! I fenagled my way in as an I Know Jack judge (yeah, I kissed my way into that one!). I went up on the hill for the first time in the last 5 years. Got a great tip and headed over to the Greek dinner line. It was one of the most memorable meals I've eaten in a long, long time. The lamb chops just melted in the mouth! Pita, Taziki, Greek Lasagna, olives, tomato/cuke salad, everything just over the top good! Thanks to George, Big Jim and all the Primo guys and the lamb guys for doing this!!!

Back