• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rookie needs help...

keverhart

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
O.k. so I've gotten chicken down now and I'm looking for my next step -want to switch it up. What should I try next to keep the confidence riding high and provide me with more information about smoking (ie:the process of trying) to continue to advance? I want to learn and make mistakes but not get in over my head. Hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

For reference I have (2) Weber 18' Kettle Grills.

Pork Ribs are the way to go.If your new at BBQ.Pretty easy

1.Build your fire with charcoal and wood of your choice,With a weber build fire around a water pan.And cook over the pan

2.Rub ribs real good and cook over the pan for 3-4 hours.

3.Wrap in foil with apple juice for 1 hour

4.Take out of foil and cook for bout 10 minutes while glazing with sauce

I would step up to the plate and try some ribs! Either babybacks or St Louis cut spares should be doable on the 18" kettles. Sounds like you already have the indirect idea down. Obviously thy will take longer than chicken figure 3-4 for babybacks and 4-6 for the spares depending on how big they are.

Good luck and keep us all posted!

Pork Butt...no doubt. Very hard to mess one of those up, and makes for a whole lot of great food.

Yep...PORK Butt or Picnic! VERY FORGIVING!!!:thumb:

Pork butt is my recommendation too, lots of latitude and still a great way to learn to cook low and slow.

The first thing I ever smoked was a pork loin. Coat with your favorite rub (I like to add a little brown sugar to it). Smoke to internal temp of 145. Foil and let rest 15-30 minutes. Slice and enjoy. Will only take a couple of hours, give or take, and you can practice fire management at holding temp at 250. Then you can move on to the bigger meats.

I'd say a butt is a sure thing.

Brisket, pork loin, ribs, etc. have a smaller window of forgiveness and if not careful, can be dried out or overdone fairly easily.

But a BUTT is a hard one to screw up.

Rub
Place on 225d smoker
Foil when stars getting dark (if you want....not necessary though)
When probe goes in like butta with little or no resistance, it's done
Pull and let rest before pulling meat
ENJOY!!!

I started with everything else. Chicken has always given me the most trouble. I'd agree with giving ribs a try. Good luck!

I vote Butt or Shoulder. Whatever you do have fun and keep us posted.

You could go pork ribs. This would give you a chance to get used to building a longer sustained fire that allows you to manage the temps over 5-6 hours. While a butt is foregiving, you need to know how to work a 12 hour fire and manage temps the entire time. Maybe you already know temp control. If not, probably something good to work up too. Throw a fatty on in either case.

you're gonna do 'em all, we know this:becky::heh:...so the question IS...

which do you want for dinner next???

You could go pork ribs. This would give you a chance to get used to building a longer sustained fire that allows you to manage the temps over 5-6 hours. While a butt is foregiving, you need to know how to work a 12 hour fire and manage temps the entire time. Maybe you already know temp control. If not, probably something good to work up too. Throw a fatty on in either case.

go this route.
buster is right on. especially in kettles. a 12 hour cook will take some practice. start with a 5 or 6 hour and go from there.

ABT's Quick, easy and fun for the whole family. Slice the japs in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and soak the japapeno in Sprite overnight. The Sprite compliments the heat and if anyone isn't a friend of the heat it makes the ABT easier to swallow and not as hot on the way out, if you get my meaning:becky:

If you've got the time, do the pork butt.

If you're looking for a faster cook, do the ribs.

Do a search and read the various tutorials the guys were good enough to post. Bo did a very good one recently, as I recall.

Just remember: BBQ is simple food. Keep it simple, and you'll be fine.

BTCG nailed it. I would suggest butt, but it'll be a full day. Ribs are my second fav! Can't go wrong either way so this is up to you.

You'll probably end up knocking em both out this weekend anyway so just pick the Sat or Sun cook and its a done deal.

Back