Alright man! After a bunch of runnin' around today;

Firecrackerjack
008-4.jpg

Where did you end up getting your expanded metal from?

After procrastinating for two weeks on drilling those 1" holes at the bottom of my soon to be uds, I broke down and bought a step drill kit. 2 step drill bits $ 19.95. Done in 15mins. I'm on my way now. Pics and pron coming. Stay tuned.

I managed to find a local metal fab shop wthin about two miles down the road..I was able two purchase smaller pieces of the expanded metals real cheap, as they were left over cuts from previous jobs.
The ash pan is just a lid from a 30 gal drum that they gave me from the reconditioned barrel purchase...Then I bought the other piece of flat stock from the metal fab dudes and worked it into a diameter that fit into the drum lid... All the metals cost only about 15$..And I have some left over for future builds....
What really hurt $$wise was the stainless bolts and hardware, tools that I didn't have layin' around, and gas money drivin' around to pick things up.....:icon_pissed

Still can't find that used webber kettle...Darn!
Rainin' too hard for any yard sales....

Fircrckerjack

Nearly seven hours in it's stll at 240*. Gave the basket a shake..Goin' to check again and then goin' to bed...Check it again later, or first thing in the morning.
Would it burn better If I put the eight half-inch holes in the top instead of the stack in the 2" bung hole?

Thanks again,
Firecrackerjack

i use a stack and she works fine. what kind of pipe did you use for your stack?

nice. i use a straight nipple. i like the elbow idea! some people say not to use them cause they might be galvinized. but i have not had any problems with mine. not sure if the blak pipe that big is or is not though. looks nice happy bbqing. here is my drum:
DSCF0905.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

Woke about 6:30 this morn and went to check on the uds,(at nearly 11 hours into the burn), temps had fallen off to about 160. It was startin' to rain-I just opened the intake all the way and let her finish off..Next time I woke Aboout 9:30 she was cold.

Well the rain just stopped and I went to look at the inside of the barrel after the seasoning burn...Gotta real nice uniform sheen to everthing....I might of used 5 - 7lbs
lump with 15 briquettes or so...Still got some of it left.
I was worried that I might have air flow problems when I was buliding it cause of my ash pan design, but maybe not...I guess 11 hours of heat with out too much adjustment or tampering on that much lump is pretty good..

Gonna have to do some work and invest in a little paint though...cause I didn't have time to get it done before the rain and moisture came...I was more concerned with getting the inside seasoned...And now she looks like this:

010-5.jpg

Gotta' love it!

Firecrackerjack

I didn't think any black pipe was galvanized...But you know what happens when assume...I'll run and take another look at it..Probably gonna go with the eight 1/2" hole pattern any way cause I think it would heat more evenly...And one day I'm gonna find that used Webber grill and have me a lid!:icon_cool

I like your uds. The magnets seem like a nice iexpensive way to go instead of the valve..I thought about it but ended up spendin' some $$..

nice. i use a straight nipple. i like the elbow idea! some people say not to use them cause they might be galvinized. but i have not had any problems with mine. not sure if the blak pipe that big is or is not though. looks nice happy bbqing. here is my drum:
DSCF0905.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

your exhaust can be black pipe, abs,galvanized exhaust pipe or non existent. Unless you hang your meet over the exhaust it won't make any difference!! The reason the experienced builders use the 2" pipe is that it is the easiest to control. I think the holy lid messes with the convection of a drum and is a pain to damper off.

Well I went and took a look at it and I'm pretty sure it's all black pipe.

I was wondering if it would make a difference being the vent and past the meat...But wasn't sure....
Thanks for the input on the holes in the lid vs. the pipe vent, for I wondered about that too.....Any opinion on using a webber lid?

your exhaust can be black pipe, abs,galvanized exhaust pipe or non existent. Unless you hang your meet over the exhaust it won't make any difference!! The reason the experienced builders use the 2" pipe is that it is the easiest to control. I think the holy lid messes with the convection of a drum and is a pain to damper off.

Au Contraire Mon Fraire!
(always wanted to say that) Evenly spaced holes are the best convection.

Hey everyone, here is a website where they have reviewed numerous types of lump charcoal for everything from taste, smell, size of lumps, heat, etc. Might be useful for those of you that like to use lump. Royal Oak has a very high rating if you get the one that is made in the Good 'Ole USA.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Paul

My flat lid with the multiple holes is absolutely no problem to damper off. I always have tin foil at hand for wrapping cuts as they come off, or lining the roaster pans I use for carrying stuff back and forth. Just grab a little piece and plug/cover the hole with it. Really quick and easy.

Cap nipples, plug holes, wait a few minutes before opening lid, remove meat and close top and fires out and barrel is cold in just a little while. By waiting a few minutes after closing down before removing meat, I find that I don't get a lot of flare ups and the fire goes out quicker.

Au Contraire Mon Fraire!
(always wanted to say that) Evenly spaced holes are the best convection.

I agree that evenly spaced holes are the best convection. With my set up, 3 half inch pipe nipples for intake, my drum will not get much hotter than 250*. That works fine for most anything I'm cooking. If it needs to get hotter than that, just remove the threaded bungs. 375* is almost instantaneous.

Sounds like the way to go...It's almost a done deal...Except I still want to use a Webber lid...If I remeber right they only have four holes set to one side...need I add more to even it out??

I managed to find a local metal fab shop wthin about two miles down the road..I was able two purchase smaller pieces of the expanded metals real cheap, as they were left over cuts from previous jobs.
The ash pan is just a lid from a 30 gal drum that they gave me from the reconditioned barrel purchase...Then I bought the other piece of flat stock from the metal fab dudes and worked it into a diameter that fit into the drum lid... All the metals cost only about 15$..And I have some left over for future builds....
What really hurt $$wise was the stainless bolts and hardware, tools that I didn't have layin' around, and gas money drivin' around to pick things up.....:icon_pissed

Still can't find that used webber kettle...Darn!
Rainin' too hard for any yard sales....

Fircrckerjack

Nice lookin drum!

That stainless steel hardware is costly, but I wouldn't want to chance with using anything else.

When you are ready to get rid of that DPP 60, let me know...:lol:

thanks for the info on the galvinized issue. it's good to know. i will stick with my 2 inch pipe. alot easier to shut down. and it cooks great.

fwiw, there is a 2" electrical conduit fitting that will screw right into the bung hole. I have had no problem with my 2" smoke stack.

I have had problems with my metal pipe nipples and caps - will nead to work on them. They rusted so bad I could not open them (cap rusted to nipple). I am not sure if I will just wire brush them and periodically coat them in oil, go to brass or galvanized. Right now they are simply a pita.

On the other hand, thinking about replacing them completely with a bbq guru.

Back