Texas BBQ Association

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

What is the largest BBQ association in Texas?

What do members here prefer? I did a quick google search and came up with a number of organizations, so I thought that I would ask the people that would know best.

Eric

I'm a member of the Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Association and the IBCA. The IBCA has several 'pits' in Texas. I'm assigned to the Third Coast BBQA because I live in Houston. IBCA membership also gives you membership in the National BBQA. Both organizations sanction comps in Texas. Most, if not all around Houston are one or the other.

I joined both as they were the most active in my area. The only cookoff I've done was IBCA but that was because of my schedule more than a preference for one organization or the other.

A pit is a collection of cooks generally in the same geographic area. I am a proud member of IBCA and the SW Arkansas pit.

Have been a member of IBCA currently member of TGCBCA...

Both are good organizantions...

They hold many contest, and most contest entry fees are $150. or less
allowing the smaller teams, first time cookers a chance to come join in on the fun...

http://www.TGCBCA.org

We are members of the IBCA and LSBS, and cook in both. Both are great organizations.

IBCA is the second largest sanctioning organization in the USA - we have events in 9 different states and will go anywhere that would like to use our system of judging.

We have run into the problem with some of the KCBS teams because we do not do a print out - but our system is totally blind judging - as most Texas organizations are - We use the double theater tickets on the turn-in containers - the cook retains one copy and the other is adhered to the container - the top 10 places in each category is taken to the stage at which time they are removed when announcing the place - No one knows whose container it is until that ticket is matched. We have the Head Cook sign the ticket that they retain so there is no exchanging tickets to insure a grand champion.

Come down and participate in one of our events or come down and visit and judge. We would love to have you.

IBCA is the second largest sanctioning organization in the USA - we have events in 9 different states and will go anywhere that would like to use our system of judging.

We have run into the problem with some of the KCBS teams because we do not do a print out - but our system is totally blind judging - as most Texas organizations are - We use the double theater tickets on the turn-in containers - the cook retains one copy and the other is adhered to the container - the top 10 places in each category is taken to the stage at which time they are removed when announcing the place - No one knows whose container it is until that ticket is matched. We have the Head Cook sign the ticket that they retain so there is no exchanging tickets to insure a grand champion.

Come down and participate in one of our events or come down and visit and judge. We would love to have you.

Thanks Lynn! You do a heck of a job.
Ty

Thanks for the invite. The next time I get out of NY and a bit south or west I'll take you up on your offer.

Eric

Back