Red Snapper Fish

khs282

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I may be coming across some red snapper fish. Has anyone on here ever made that? Looking for tips on how to do this? Plank? Smoke? Any ideas would be great.

is the fish still whole with the skin on or just the fillet?

*edit* I missed the part where you said MAY be coming across some red snapper. Anyhow I pretty much grill mine direct with maybe one chunk of hickory on the coals (it's all I have layin around usually) and for seasoning, its the usual suspects. Seasoned salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon pepper, old bay (not much, that stuff goes a long way) in any combination. I try not to season red snapper too much cause that meat is really not all that strong tasting to begin with.

Last edited:
Pm Phrasty, he lives in Jamaica and would probably have some killer ideas, he puts up some mean seafood plates

I grill mine whole, indirect. Stuffed with chopped veggies inside. With a side of coconut rice and fried plantains. :thumb:

Fried in a wok style pan is great as well.

Red snapper is THE best fish out there IMO! So many things to do with it. I've smoked it, I've fried it (this is yellow tail snapper...Extremely similar) and you can Steam it... Just adapt these recipes to the grill. Either do them like this or this. You can do them individually by stuffing the fish with the ingredients and wrap tightly in foil then place in the grill with a hot indirect (300-350) or you can cut up the fish and place it all in a container with the other ingredients and then cook in the same manner.

how I do the fried:
65741fe9.jpg

and smoked:
1a068df6.jpg

No pics of steamed...

Hope that helps...
Cheers

Thanks everyone for your help. This site is awesome. I did find out that the skin has been removed from the fish. I really hope I can get this. After all the rave reviews I have seen and heard about red snappers, I am getting excited to try it.

So you are getting fillets?
I really hope so. I should know tomorrow. If so, I know whats for dinner Saturday.:becky:
What would you say the going rate is for a couple fillets? They would be coming from a co-worker who was fishing in the Gulf over Thanksgiving weekend.

Don't think my prices will match where you are. But looking around online it varies a lot so I don't know what to really tell you as far as price is concerned. :confused:

Sorry.
Cheers

I love red snapper.
If I had filets I would steam or lighty flour and shallow fry gently in mild OO and butter.
Season lightly and make a lemon dressing with a few capers from the frying liquid.

Phrasty, if you think red Snapper is the best fish around, you need to get down here for a holiday!
Mi casa su casa bro, but Red Snapper will never be the same for you again!:wink:

Must be an acquired taste. I used to go in the gulf 2-3times a year. The captain of the charter would laugh when we gave him the snapper to filet our sharks...

I love red snapper.
If I had filets I would steam or lighty flour and shallow fry gently in mild OO and butter.
Season lightly and make a lemon dressing with a few capers from the frying liquid.

Phrasty, if you think red Snapper is the best fish around, you need to get down here for a holiday!
Mi casa su casa bro, but Red Snapper will never be the same for you again!:wink:

:heh: What you mean? You will show me better?? :crazy::heh:I'm there bro!

OK well let me clarify... Snapper is the best "white" fish out there... Well actually there is ONE (white) fish that I think can do out do snapper for me and thats Squirrel fish... Gimme 6 of those fried up with some scotch bonnet sauce, a good beer and a beach chair and you could call me whatever the fark you like, I'd be a happy man! :thumb:

OK :focus:

Khs... Another thing I LOVE to do with snapper is to make fish tea... it's really not a tea but rather a light soup/broth. I'm sure snapper is a bit cheaper here than for you so I dunno how willing you'd be to make this but it's pretty damn good! I throw in other seafood as well sometimes and it's a soup so it's only limited to what you have. I'm sure it can work out quite hearty. Something different to do with fish... plus it'll be good for the cold nights! :thumb:

Fish Tea/Soup
INGREDIENTS :

1.5 - 2 lb fillets
3 qrts. water
2 large or medium cloves garlic
1 sprig thyme
3 stalks escallion
2 medium potatoes
1 carrot
1 corn cut into 1" "disks"
4 finger of green bananas (you can use yams or sweet potatoes if this is hard to find)
1 green scotch bonnet pepper
salt to taste
black pepper
few pimento seeds
2 lemons or limes

I like to add a piece of pumpkin to mine. Just peel it then boil it in the soup. When it gets soft remove it and blend or "mush" it with a fork (I use a stick blender) then add it back to the soup and continue to simmer.

You can also add shrimp, crawfish, conch, lobster... whatever seafood you like.

METHOD:

Wash fish in Vinegar or Lemon and drain
Combine the fish, garlic and water to boil until fish starts to break up
Wash the potatoes, corn, carrot and dice (Size is up to you).
Add to the soup with salt
Peel and add green bananas.
Add thyme, escallion, pepper, pimento and black pepper
& Simmer for another 15 mins. Traditionally we serve this with Excelsor crackers.

2513629335_6a728e6af7_b.jpg
(not my photo)

...and there you go. :becky:

Cheers

Must be an acquired taste. I used to go in the gulf 2-3times a year. The captain of the charter would laugh when we gave him the snapper to filet our sharks...

Did he laugh and take it...:wink:

Red snapper is a great fish cooked a lot of different ways. Fresh red snapper is the key...

Yep Phrasty, come down mate, there are not one but 7 local species that everyone here loves....and pays 2 to 3 time more for than red snapper.
One of them fetches $40 plus a pound though, but it is that much better so....whadayagunnado.:cry:

It isn't just locals that think so, all my visitors have been blown away by these same fish.
Geez, wanting some now I have spoken about it.

I got the snapper today!!! I know whats for dinner on Saturday now! Is it Saturday yet?

Back